Poached eggs - how do the cafes do them?

Page 2 / 2
standard, Jan 10, 5:52am
motorbo - wouldn't the boiling water melt the plastic wrap? OR do you put the teacup into the boiling water as well?
Thanks

thingone, Jan 10, 6:01am
it's the eggs. The older the egg the more it will run or spread. Try a fresh farm egg and see the difference. The supermarket ones (even the free range) have all had a bit of travel time and storage time. I could not believe how much difference it made when we first got our own chooks, about 2 years ago. Plus there is a huge color difference.
The fresh eggs don't need any rings to keep shape and I often forget to to add vinegar to the water to set the white etc (which I used to do all the time before we got our chooks) they hold thier shape and they are beautiful. Try a farmers market for fresh eggs - even just once to give it a try and see and taste the difference. yum, yum yum!

beaker59, Jan 10, 6:01am
free range eggs kept at room temp boiling salted water in pan with a splash of vinegar fairly simple really.

But yeah I like soft boiled too in an egg cup with soldiers.

suie1, Jan 10, 8:14am
Eggs should be kept at room temperature, never put them in the fridge they will keep for up to 6 weeks on the shelf.

uli, Jan 10, 9:05am
Who keeps eggs in the fridge in the first place ? ? ?

debsaid, Jan 10, 7:37pm
I do mine in a cup in the microwave, just crack the egg in, cover with boiling water, usually for 40 sec to 1 min. perfect everytime and no messy pans.

motorbo, Jan 11, 12:18am
dont ask me why but no it doesnt melt in the time that is required to poach the egg

redrustie, Jan 11, 12:24am
I always keep mine in the fridge! They have a longer shelf life in the fridge, of 42 days, but only 21 days in a warmer environment.

gaba1, Jan 11, 12:29am
I've made steamed pudding wrapped in glad wrap to keep the cloth clean, to boil the mixture. It didn't melt, just made the glad wrap go a bit stiff oddly. Pudding tasted great too!

fisher, Jan 11, 12:34am
yeah they wouldn't make eggs racks for the fridges if they weren't made to be kept there... :}}}

jubre, Jan 11, 12:40am
Dont think I would fancy eggs cooked in plastic wrap. Dosnt sound too healthy. I reckon they would use rings to cook eggs in at a commercial place.

coolnzmum, Jan 11, 12:44am
Check out the New Zealand egg site. Eggs keep best in the fridge.

http://www.eggs.org.nz/egg_facts. php

imn, Jan 11, 12:45am
berk! If i ever went to a cafe and my egg took all of 3 mins I would ask them to take it back and cook fresh! how blardy awful having an egg thats been sitting in cold water. when we go to our cafe we always wait 10min or so til they cook it. they even tell us that we have to wait and of course its not a bother!

I always keep my eggs in the fridge as well.

i bought a poacher with little dishes so you put water in the main bit, the eggs in the dish bit then when the water boils put the other dish in and cover. 5 mins and they are perfect. I love poached eggs!

redrustie, Jan 11, 12:45am
I always use fresh eggs, broken straight into just boiled (off the heat) shallow water (i use a deep frying pan) and break them gently as close to the water as possible. then i return to a low-medium heat until white is cooked and yolk is still soft. I always get compliments on my poached eggs!

survivorr, Jan 11, 12:54am
I've wondered exactly the same. Went to an Asian shop for brekky one morning and the eggs looked sooooo neat . . no idea how they did it, should've asked at the time.

buzzy110, Jan 11, 1:11am
Jo Seagar is a wonderful cook and her recipes are always top notch. However, I reckon she doesn't give a fig about health and knows absolutely nothing about PBA (Bisphenol-A).

Having read the article in this weekend's Herald, about BPA I can confidently state that I am very very happy I don't use Glad Wrap much (one roll can last me all of two years) because I wouldn't want that stuff in my system. Even when I didn't know about PBA, the thought of cooking my food in it seemed like a dangerous thing to do.

Once again my instincts have proved me right.

angie461, Jan 11, 6:04am
I only use eggs at room temp and have the water not bubbling but pretty hot, vinegar makes the white come together, I cook them ina cafe and we cook then when ordered not in advance. I have the water on all the time . They dont all come out perfect does depend on the freshness of the egg, someare better than others.

motorbo, Jan 11, 7:19am
i often find comments liek this amusing as its usually from people that do or have many other habits that are bound to not be healthy for them... im not saying you r one of them as i dont know u ... but its often the case, i did this way once and would do it again for a special occasion, its not something i would do every day, so i dont think it will kill me

uli, Jan 11, 8:07am
motorbo - this is right. it will not kill you, but maybe it will interfere with the hormones of your kids. In case you are interested I would recommend you read the article - then you can comment a bit better on it:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article. cfm? c_id=1&obj
ectid=10619136&pnum=0

ridgeline, Jan 11, 8:14am
Also as I understand it the younger the hen the more likely the "yolk and white" are likely to hold together. At least one major hotel that I am aware of contracts to buy eggs from first year hens only. There are other factors as well as mentioned in previous posts.

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 11, 8:54am
I cant wait... the chook motel is almost finished fencing is up to keep the dog out, now just need to find some nice chickies to lay me some nice fresh eggs.

suie1, Jan 11, 9:16am
Why would you need to keep eggs longer than 21 days anyway? The fridge may make the shelf life longer but what is the cold temp doing to the nutrients in the egg?

redrustie, Jan 11, 10:47am
The cold temp does nothing to the nutrients in the egg! And as i have my own chickens, currently getting only 4-5 a day! , then Yes, i do need them to last! 21 days is only a guideline for non-refridgerated eggs and depends on the weather, but why run the risk of food poisoning and going against all advice on how to keep the eggs fresher for longer?

wimwam1, Jul 12, 7:19pm
that is truly gross I have worked in numerous cafes and have never ever seen this done, you poach them like others have said with a bit of vinegar and they hold together well