Anywhere in NZ to buy canned pumpkin puree?

Page 2 / 2
uli, Jun 30, 5:40am
As above - only if you grow the right varieties will it work. Since I have grown lots of different American varieties over the years I am sure I could make a nice one - however I do hate pies with a vengeance - so I don't. I have considered though to make a bottomless one, as it is that fatty crumb crust that I hate - not the filling. I must try it one of these days.

If you have a proper pie pumpkin and roast it whole (after taking the seeds out) the flesh is very dry and sweet, add to that what they call "pumpkin pie spice" which is a bit like mixed spice (cinnamon, cloves, allspice etc) and you could easily do it here just as well from fresh than from canned:)

indy95, Jun 30, 5:58am
On the subject of cutting up pumpkins I remember reading a hint on this board some time ago about using a small knife rather than a large one to cut up pumpkins and I've found that it really works. Last weekend I bought two 5kg Ironbark pumpkins at $3 each (quite a bargain !) and cut them up easily using a small sharp vege knife. You just need to cut around the stalk and remove it then it is easy to chop them into manageable pieces. I've now got lots of cooked pumpkin flesh in the freezer.

dezzie, Jun 30, 7:25am
kitty, you can just put a whole pumpkin in a supermarket bag, tie the top a bit so it won't fly out, then throw it hard onto the concrete path, it cracks it all and makes it a lot easier to cut up, and the bag keeps all the bits together if it does fly apart.

greerg, Jun 30, 8:29am
American colleagues swear that proper pumpkin pie has to be made from canned pumpkin and that our pumpkin is not the same.I have looked for cans in Christchurch to test this theory but not even Johnson's who used to be in Colombo Street had it.

enzedda, Jun 30, 10:42am
You can put a whole pumpkin in the microwave.I do this all the time.Just pierce the skin a bit so it won't explode.I do them about 20 mins.Then you let them cool a bit and they are very easy to chop and peel.They are not fully cooked usually so you just carry on once they are chopped cooking as you like.

jessie981, Jun 30, 10:46am
Mmmm. Never heard of & definitely wouldn't buy if it was available!

texastwo, Jun 30, 10:54am
Story goes you take a whole pumpkin, Make a circular cut around the stalk end to remove it whole. Pull out all the soft insides and seeds. Fill it up with lots of raw sugar, seal it all up again with your stalk "cork" leave it for a couple of months and hey.Pumpkin rum!

winnie231, Jun 30, 11:07am
One of my good friends in Golden Bay is from Canada. She is a vegetarian & bakes, eats, grows, drinks, preserves & dries food in as natural a state as possible :)
However .
she has confessed she looks forward to her trip home each year as pumpkin pie is not pumpkin pie without canned pumpkin!
Apparently it's just not the same here and this is from a person who would very rarely need a can opener!

indy95, Jul 1, 5:58am
On the subject of cutting up pumpkins I remember reading a hint on this board some time ago about using a small knife rather than a large one to cut up pumpkins and I've found that it really works. Last weekend I bought two 5kg Ironbark pumpkins at $3 each (quite a bargain !) and cut them up easily using a small sharp vege knife. You just need to cut around the stalk and remove it then it is easy to chop them into manageable pieces. I've now got lots of cooked pumpkin flesh in the freezer.

guest, Oct 24, 7:09am
Pumpkin pie requires sweet pumpkin which is different to the pumpkins you buy fresh in nz.. Havnt seen it on the shelves here though!