How to thicken pumpkin soup

cgvl, Jun 15, 3:43am
if its too thin, then you could make a roux (white sauce) and carefully add to the pumpkin. Otherwise just cook more pumpkin (cook in a little amount of water, then drain), mash and add to the soup.

I always cook my pumpkin soup in as little water as possible, drain it and mash then add milk. I never thin it with chicken stock ever, but then I love a thick creamy soup.

rainrain1, Jun 15, 5:54am
make this recipe of Alison Holsts and you won't have a thin soup problem
1kg pumpkin
2 cups water
2 tsp instant chicken stock
2 tsp instant green herb stock
2 tsp instant bacon stock
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
2 chopped onions
2 cloved crushed garlic
deseed pumpkin and cut into chunks, boil altogether till pumpkin is tender enough to scrape from the skin (I cut the skin from mine first)
Puree in batches, add 2 cups of milk, (although I add less than that) Reheat without boiling.
Add a swirl of thin cream to each serving, or chopped fresh herbs

cheeseepoof, Jun 15, 6:00am
Corn flour or add some potatoes and cook till they are cooked and blend again, you wouldn't thicken with a roux and a roux isn't white sauce, you may thicken with a burre manie

wayneandjudith, Jun 15, 6:24am
x1
The thickness does seem to depend on the pumpkin itself and the time of year I think. Below is my recipe for microwave pumpkin soup which is fast and so easy and very yummy. It also freezes really well. I freeze it in individual portions for lunches, or even snacks as well as larger amounts for the whole family: The consistency can vary so I pour off a bit of the water it's cooked in, saving it until I've done the blending and adding some back in if needed. That way you can get the consistency you want.
My son and nieces and nephews all like this as do other children and teens I've tried it on, even some quite fussy ones!.
Yummy with some grated Edam (or other) cheese and ground black pepper on top and served with bread rolls.

500g pumpkin, chopped / 30g butter (optional - I never use it) / 1 medium onion, roughly chopped / 1 generous Tablespoon tomato paste / 1 clove garlic, crushed / 3 cups (or less) hot water/ 1 good teaspoon chicken stock powder or two small chicken stock cubes / 1/4 cup cream or fromage frais if desired.
Cook pumpkin, onion and garlic, with the butter in a large microwave proof jug (no water at this stage) on high for 12 minutes or until tender.
Add everything else.
Cook on high another 15 minutes (based on a 700 watt microwave so it might need less).
Blend in the kitchen whizz or with a stick blender or other.

ethans, Jun 16, 7:45am
I cook a cup of lentils with my pumpkin adn then blend all together when cooked.you can stand a spoon up in it. cheers.

Pumpkin Soup2:

½ a pumpkin peeled[can use kumera][carrot]
2 oxo or similar
1 cup lentils
water to cover
2 t curry powder[ginger with carrot]
Cook all the above together, then puree.

chopped onion
chopped bacon cook separately- steam & keep water 4 stock
ca also use chopped ham steaks from New World.

soup bones beef, pork, cooked and remove meat.[optional]
cooked meat balls could also be nice

nice to also do slithered carrots – slice on side of cheese grater
sliced leeks
celery sliced
chopped celery leaves
cauli florets
cubed potato
veges that need using up – steam & keep water 4 stock
Watties frozen International Mix or Stirfry Vegetables4 sweet & sour are nice and easy.

Add salt & pepper to taste to puree, then steamed veges
Garnish with parsley & grated cheese

Pumpkin Soup:
From Elizabeth: very popular:

½ a pumpkin peeled[can use kumera]
2 oxo or similar
1 cup lentils
water to cover

chopped onion cook separately- steam & keep water 4 stock

Add salt and pepper to taste to puree.
Add Tarragon, thyme, oregano, rosemary and mixed herbs.

CARROT & GINGER SOUP: [quite sweet]

carrots equal to about ½ a pumpkin
2 oxo or similar
1 cup lentils
water to cover

Cook a few carrot slithers with onions.
chopped onion cook separately- steam & keep water 4 stock

Add salt and pepper to taste to puree.
Add ginger, small amt of thyme, rosemary.

aktow, Jun 16, 2:38pm
you mean Beurre manié. and you are wrong, you can use a roux to thicken a soup.iuse a roux all the time,i add my pumpkin soup to my roux and blend, it does not take much to thicken ..... the only difference between a Beurre maniéand a roux is,,, the roux is heated and cooked out.. both have equal parts butter and flour,,, i was taught to use more butter and make it to a tooth paste stage so it thickens quickly without lumps..

ferita, Jun 16, 8:04pm
exactly

elsielaurie1, Jun 17, 1:46am
I add an extra potato or some rice....:-}

trish441, Jun 17, 6:38pm
You can add potato flakes to thicken it up.I always use potato flakes to thicken my stews instead of cornflour.

lynja, Jun 17, 7:56pm
what a great idea trish441!

propagator, Jun 18, 1:38am
'Tis a good idea trish.Could also add a packet of onion soup.