My marmalade didn't set

duce3, Jun 12, 11:00pm
I made mandarin and orange marmalade yesterday and it thickened up nicely but not set as such.It is more a thick sauce.Is there anything I can do to it now or just leave as it is?

indy95, Jun 13, 12:45am
Duce3, isn't it infuriating when this happens ? Your best option now is probably to reheat the marmalade and add one or two packets of jam setting mix. This way you avoid losing too much of your marmalade by reboiling to try and get it to set. Of course you will also need to resterilise the jars which is a real pain. Good luck.

summersunnz, Jun 13, 5:04am
I'd reheat it very slowly, stirring often so it doesn't stick to the pan, add the juice of two or three lemon's and continue at a rolling boil until set. To test, place a tablespoonful on a saucer, place it in the fridge for a few minutes, then run your finger tip through the centre - if the sides stay apart, it's ready to bottle, if they run back together, cook for longer.

duce3, Jun 13, 10:55am
Thank you.I have reheated it with two lemons added and reduced it as well.I went from 8 jars to 6 1/2 jars but at least it isn't runny now.Tomorrow mornings toast will be the real test.
And, yes it is a pain to scrap out the jars and sterilize.