Help convert llbs to cups for cake please

poolgirl6, Jun 8, 4:54am
My mothers recipe, states 3/4lb flourhow many cups,?
Also sugar,3/4 lb how many cups.
My scales are not workinggrrrrr
Thanks

nanasee1, Jun 8, 5:50am
Hard to be sure of the conversion with only the flour & sugar cited. I would go 3 cups flour, maybe start at 2.5 and add extra if needed. Sugar 1.5 cups.
Good luck

pam.delilah, Jun 8, 6:15am
book mark this link
http://www.destitutegourmet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101
and go down to Approximate conversions
for example
1 cupflour = 4 ozs, as there are 12 ozs in 3/4 lb , you will need 3cups
1 cup sugar = 8ozs so you will need 1 1/2 cups sugar

poolgirl6, Jun 8, 6:58am
thanks, was using an old recipe book from the 60's.

poolgirl6, Jun 9, 4:54am
My mothers recipe, states 3/4lb flourhow many cups,!
Also sugar,3/4 lb how many cups.
My scales are not workinggrrrrr
Thanks

pam.delilah, Jun 9, 6:15am
book mark this link
http://www.destitutegourmet.com/index.php!option=com_content&task=view&id=101
and go down to Approximate conversions
for example
1 cupflour = 4 ozs, as there are 12 ozs in 3/4 lb , you will need 3cups
1 cup sugar = 8ozs so you will need 1 1/2 cups sugar

poolgirl6, Jun 9, 6:58am
thanks, was using an old recipe book from the 60's.

kuaka, Jun 9, 10:15am
According to that, 4 tbsp of flour weighs one ounce and I'm pretty sure that's not right.Mum always reckoned that one tablespoon is roughly an ounce.

245sam, Jun 9, 10:18am
kuaka, was your Mum basing her "one tablespoon is roughly an ounce" on a standard NZmeasuring tablespoon or a tablespoon of the serving size type which usually holds considerably more than a measuring tablespoon?:-))

kuaka, Jun 9, 10:58am
Oops, yes a serving size tablespoon.How big are the standard measuring tablespoons then, I can't say I've ever seen one, certainly never used one!

245sam, Jun 9, 11:08am
Measuring tablespoons vary in different countries (e.g. an Australian standard measuring tablespoon = 20ml) but here in NZ a standard measuring tbsp = 15ml.
Standard measuring tablespoons have been around for many many years and I've been using them for that long, firstly in my pre-metric manual training days 45+ years ago and the stainless steel set I still use has been in use ever since NZ went metric.:-))

cgvl, Jun 9, 11:44am
see I was always taught that 1Tbsp = 4tsp. and that is the ratio I still work with also probably what Kuaka was also taught. A 15ml Tbsp seems so wrong, I buy my measuring spoons using the Aussie standard or use the old silver Tbsp and tsp that I inherited/pinched when I left home (mum had 2 of them). As for measuring cups ummm well I use either an old acroroc one or the larger breakfast cup (300ml). the larger one for flour, the standard one for sugar etc. 3 level cups of flour weigh 600g great for when the scales aren't working or when I'm too lazy to get them out lol.

245sam, Jun 9, 12:27pm
cgvl, if I'm measuring cups of liquid I often use an old arcoroc mug too but that's because, out of curiosity one day, I actually compared it and the standard 250ml NZ measuring cup and found that the mug, filled right to the top = 250ml so it's often easier to grab one of the two mugs that I keep for cooking purposes - they're not so good ('nice') for drinking out of since their edges got somewhat the worse for wear from travelling around in our previous caravan.:-))

kuaka, Jun 10, 10:15am
According to that, 4 tbsp of flour weighs one ounce and I'm pretty sure that's not right.Mum always reckoned that one tablespoon is roughly an ounce.

245sam, Jun 10, 10:18am
kuaka, was your Mum basing her "one tablespoon is roughly an ounce" on a standard NZmeasuring tablespoon or a tablespoon of the serving size type which usually holds considerably more than a measuring tablespoon!:-))

kuaka, Jun 10, 10:58am
Oops, yes a serving size tablespoon.How big are the standard measuring tablespoons then, I can't say I've ever seen one, certainly never used one!

245sam, Jun 10, 11:08am
Measuring tablespoons vary in different countries (e.g. an Australian standard measuring tablespoon = 20ml) but here in NZ a standard measuring tbsp = 15ml, so 4 tbsp = ¼ cup, give or take 2-3ml, and 1 tbsp = 3 teaspoons or 1½ dessertspoons.
Standard measuring tablespoons have been around for many many years and I've been using them for that long, firstly in my pre-metric manual training days 45+ years ago and the stainless steel set I still use has been in use ever since NZ went metric.:-))

cgvl, Jun 10, 11:44am
see I was always taught that 1Tbsp = 4tsp. and that is the ratio I still work with also probably what Kuaka was also taught. A 15ml Tbsp seems so wrong, I buy my measuring spoons using the Aussie standard or use the old silver Tbsp and tsp that I inherited/pinched when I left home (mum had 2 of them). As for measuring cups ummm well I use either an old acroroc one or the larger breakfast cup (300ml). the larger one for flour, the standard one for sugar etc. 3 level cups of flour weigh 600g great for when the scales aren't working or when I'm too lazy to get them out lol.

245sam, Jun 10, 12:27pm
cgvl, if I'm measuring cups of liquid I often use an old arcoroc mug too but that's because, out of curiosity one day, I actually compared it and the standard 250ml NZ measuring cup and found that the mug, filled right to the top = 250ml so it's often easier to grab one of the two mugs that I keep for cooking purposes - they're not so good ('nice') for drinking out of since their edges got somewhat the worse for wear from travelling around in our previous caravan.:-))