Chicken and leek Filo will this work?

philpot3, May 28, 10:26pm
Will this work?
Brown chicken and set aside
Satuee garlic and onion and leeks
Add chicken
add philidelphia cooking cream and reduce down with some herbs
Wrap up in filo and bake.
Would the mixture be tasty?Has anyone else made this sort of thing???

theanimal1, May 28, 10:57pm
sounds damn tasty to me, (except the leeks lol)
i have another recipe for chicken and filo if you are interested?

jessie981, May 28, 11:18pm
Yum, I'll do a taster test.

macwood2, May 28, 11:48pm
theanimal1 - do you have a chicken and leek pie recipe?Not necessaily filo.I have to do a boxed lunch, on a budget, for a large number of people (120) and was looking for some interesting suggestions.Thought pies might be one of my options. Appart from beef in red wine and chicken and leek what other nice combos are there for pies?Any ideas for me?TIA

philpot3, May 29, 12:27am
theanimal1-yes I am interested in any chicken filo recipes.
Thanks

petal1955, May 29, 12:36am
I have made a similar recipe with chicken bacon and sour cream mixture in filo traingles and they are Yummo !!!!!

theanimal1, May 29, 5:06am
Chicken Filo Parcels with Mint Yogurt

Mixture will make 6 medium sized filos or 4 large ones.

* 500grms chicken (Diced)
* 2 cloves of garlic
* 150grms melted butter
* 1sml red onion
* 1 large carrot
* 1 red pepper
* 1 green pepper
* 1 courgette
* 1 box of filo pastry
* 1 large mixing bowl
* Large frying pan
* Baking tray
* Butter/pastry brush
* 290grm jar of Mint jelly
* 600grm Plain unsweetened yogurt

Method
If you pre prepare all the ingredients like I do it will make it easier Remember to pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.

1st place half the yogurt into a bowl, add 3 dessert spoons of jelly and mix with a whisk if you have one, or a spoon. Leave to sit in the fridge (add more or less mint to taste).

Cut the chicken into thin strips or cubes and set aside.

Finely slice the Carrot and courgettes into long thin strips (julienne) they can be cut into 3rds first, then sliced into strips from there, cut the peppers into quarters and thinly slice the same as the carrots and courgettes. Dice the onion and garlic as thinly as possible.

Into a frying pan lightly sauté the onion and Garlic, then add all the other vegetables - it will be like stir frying, and we want the mixture to be just under-done (al dente). Now put these into a bowl and use the same pan to quick fry the chicken, make sure that the pan is smoking hot (literally smoking) before you put the chicken in. Only a couple of minutes.

This will help seal in all the flavours from the chicken, remove from the pan just before the chicken is done (as it will cook in the oven later) and add to the bowl with the vegetables in.

Open the filo pastry and lay one sheet on a clean DRY bench or board, brush with melted butter then add another sheet as evenly as possible on top, brush again with butter and do this to 3 sheets. Place the filling about 5cms from the nearest end to you width ways leaving room on either end so that you can fold the ends in later (The amount of filling is up to you, the less you put in the smaller the filo parcel and the more you put in the bigger).

Fold the pastry over the mixture so that it is fully incased, then fold the ends over towards the middle and continue to roll to the end, before all the filo is used up brush melted butter so that the end will stick and roll on top to seal.

Do this process until you have used all the mixture or have enough parcels, 1 box of filo will be plenty for a med to large family and you can freeze the left over pastry when not in use. Keep pastry cool or lightly damp while youre preparing these, otherwise it will dry out and will be useless.

Place the rolled filo onto a greased oven tray and place in the oven for 15- 20mins or until golden on top.

Cut filo's in half Serve with a side salad or baby potatoes and drizzle the mint yogurt over the top or serve on the side.

theanimal1, May 29, 5:09am
CHICKEN PIE

Oil for frying
2 large skinless chicken breast, diced or 500g chicken mince
1 onion - chopped
300g bacon - chopped
3Tbsps flour
1/2cup milk
1/2cup cream
1Tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2Tbsp dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
A packet of flaky pastry
Milk to glaze
Make the filling by heating a little oil in a frying pan.
Add chicken, bacon and onion and brown.
Add the flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 min.
Add the milk, cream and thyme and cook stirring until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
Line the base of the tin with pastry sheet allowing a little to overhang.
Spoon the filling in to fill the pastry case.
Brush the edges of the base with milk and apply top pastry.
Press the top onto the bottom using the fork and then trim excess pastry.
Brush pastry surface with milk.
Bake in an oven preheated to 200C for 35mins or until pastry is golden brown

i make these as mini chicken pies, as easier for the kids.

theanimal1, May 29, 5:11am
Cocktail Meatballs

1 pound lean ground beef (can use chicken mince)
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 tablespoons minced onion
1 (8 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce (optional) (i just use plum jam if i want it)
3/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, water, bread crumbs, and
minced onion. Roll into small meatballs. Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes,
turning once.in alarge saucepan over low heat, blend the
cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and pour over meatballs .

can be eaten cold, and the sauce used as a dipping sauce.

theanimal1, May 29, 5:14am
Thai Chicken Balls
Makes about 50 walnut sized balls.1 kg chicken mince;80g fresh breadcrumbs;4 spring onions,sliced;1 tbsp ground coriander;50g chopped,fresh coriander;60ml sweet chilli sauce;1-2 tbsp lemon juice;oil for shallow frying. Mix the mince,and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Add the spring onions,ground & fresh coriander;chilli sauce & lemon juice,to taste, mix well. With wet hands,form into evenly shaped walnut-sized balls. Preheat oven to 200c.
Heat about 3cm oil in deep frying pan to 180c,or until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds.Shallow fry the balls in batched over high heat until golden. Bake on baking tray for 5 mins or until cooked through.

can be eaten cold

macwood2, May 29, 9:15am
theanimal1 - chicken pies look good.Someone told me you should use savoury pasty for the base and flaky for the top - do you do that?

theanimal1, May 29, 9:56am
yes as i think it works better.

blt10, May 29, 11:41pm
A tasty Chicken and Leek Pie is on this week's menu for us, can't wait.

svce, Jun 1, 9:52am
yes. havecooked it thta way and it works . I use mushrom in autumen insead of leek and zucchini in Summer . y children loved it > I hadded a pinch of curry once with the courgette to add a bit of zang to it.

svce, Jun 1, 9:55am
yes. havecooked it that way and it works . I use mushroom in autumn instead of leek and zucchini in Summer . my children loved it > I added a pinch of curry once with the courgette to add a bit of zang to it.