Come in with your Silverbeet/Spinach recipes pleas

Page 1 / 2
paix1, May 27, 2:20am
I have a glut of both at present & am having 'brain fade' as to what else I can use it for apart from the usual, like side vege dish, in quiche etc. All ideas gratefully received - thanks! :-)

dagwood51, May 27, 2:23am
I par boil sum potatoes wait for them to cool add to a casserole dish chop up silverbeet layer on top of spuds add cheese then repeat with spuds etc make sure last layer is cheese then bake in oven until cheese has melted very yummy.

trading_gibsons, May 27, 2:51am
Use it in a quiche with feta cheese.

paix1, May 27, 3:48am
Thank you all SO much - Duh! never thought about the search function. Going to try your recipe dagwood - sounds yum!

juliewn, May 27, 5:40am
Use them as layers in lasagne too.. use several pieces in each layer so you have a reasonable thickness for each layer.

Chop and add to soups and casseroles, or fill bags with chopped leaves - no need to cook them, and freeze - give the bag a shake every hour or two and they'll stay fairly free-flowing.. you can then lift out a handful or whatever you want when you use them.

Add some to potatoes, kumara, carrots and parsnip, or pumpkin when boiling or steaming them - mash all together..

rainrain1, May 27, 5:50am
top with a couple of perfectly poached eggs for your lunch

lythande1, May 27, 7:35am
Parboil. Lay on schnitzels, top with a wee bit of sauted mushroom, roll up and bake, serve with whatever sauce - I like a tomato sauce (not out of a bottle of course).
Use with stuffing in boned pork or lamb chops, roll into roulades.
Etc.

suie1, May 27, 8:11am
Spinach Cannelloni the recipe is on the sanremo instant cannelloni tubes.

theanimal1, May 27, 9:29am
Rice Stuffed
Silverbeet Leaves

Ingredients:
Big bunch of silverbeet
(preferably about 12 leaves)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 heaped Tbls of peanut butter
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1 cup rice
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 Tbls dried oregano
½ cup grated cheese (optional)
2 Tbls oil
Salt and pepper
Method:
Lightly fry the onion and cumin seeds in oil, add the
rice, fry briefly then add 2 ½ cups water and ½ a
tsp salt. Bring to the boil, turn down to a low simmer,
cover and cook for 12 mins, then turn off and leave
the pan tightly covered for a further 12 mins.
Add the peanut butter to the rice, stir to combine.
Add the cheese to the rice and peanut butter
mixture, stir to combine.
Trim the silverbeet leaves from the bunch and run
the edge of a wooden spoon along the spines of
the silverbeet, pressing firmly to crush the spines.
This makes the leaves much easier to roll up.
Divide the rice mixture between the 12 leaves
and roll them up.
Place the rolled up leaves into a shallow baking dish.
Blend the can of tomatoes with the oregano, ¼ tsp
salt and a cup of water and tip over the leaves.
Cover tightly with foil and bake at 170°C for an hour.

bubbleofbarb, May 27, 10:45am
savoury muffins or savoury scones...i use spinach for both.Just chop up roughly and add to eg a scone mix with some cheese, feta, onions and I ALWAYS add a tspn of chicken stock.....all sounds a little weird (esp the chicken stock), but I promise you that everyone will rave.DON"T cook the spinach first...just throw into recipe raw!

kylie_m, May 27, 10:54am
Make spinach, mushroom and thyme soup. Looks foul but is oh-so-tasty, and it'll use up a heap of the stuff!

barmanmyk, May 27, 10:56am
Saute with butter, peas and nutmeg

marcs, May 27, 11:17am
Silverbeet soup Yum
5 cups chicken stock
1 onion chopped
750g potatos
500g silverbeet
3/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup parmesean cheese

Saute onion is a bit of oil or butter till soft. Add potatoes and stock and boil for 5 minutes or until soft. Wash silver beat and shred (like to use the leaves only as I don't like stalks). Add sliverbeet and cook for 3 minutes. Add sour cream and cheese. take off heat and blend till pureed. Serve hot. you can put it back on to heat but do not boil. YUM

alfgarnett, May 28, 5:06am
Lamb & Spinach curry (Saag Gosht) uses a lot of spinach and is very yum.

samanya, May 28, 5:26am
I'm going to try your recipe ...love the stuff.
I make soup too, no amounts as it's just guess work on my part.
Sauté onion garlic & Silver beet with some curry powder, when beet is barely cooked, remove & make a thin roux sauce in the pan, whizz up S beet mixture & add to sauce ...yummy.

rosewildvinyl, May 28, 5:49am
I like this courtesy Digby Law
Melt 2 tabs butter in a saucepan & stir in 2 tabs flour.
Remove from heat & add 1 cup milk, return to heat & stir until thickened, it's quite thick at this stage.
Add 1 1/2 cups cooked SB greens, S & P, 1 tsp grated onion.
Coll a little then stir in 3 beaten egg yolks.
Fold in 3 stiffly beaten egg whites.
Pour into a greased ring tin, place in a pan of hot water & bake 180 degrees for about 30 mins or until firm.
Umould & serve as a side vegetable or the centre can be fill with creamed fish etc.
I have even baked this in large muffin pans, for a much shorter time, of course.

hezwez, Sep 18, 8:02am
Bump because post #10 is delicious and I don't want to lose it before writing it down.

paix1, May 27, 2:20am
I have a glut of both at present & am having 'brain fade' as to what else I can use it for apart from the usual, like side vege dish, in quiche etc. All ideas gratefully received - thanks! :-)

juliewn, May 27, 5:40am
Use them as layers in lasagne too. use several pieces in each layer so you have a reasonable thickness for each layer.

Chop and add to soups and casseroles, or fill bags with chopped leaves - no need to cook them, and freeze - give the bag a shake every hour or two and they'll stay fairly free-flowing. you can then lift out a handful or whatever you want when you use them.

Add some to potatoes, kumara, carrots and parsnip, or pumpkin when boiling or steaming them - mash all together.

bubbleofbarb, May 27, 10:45am
savoury muffins or savoury scones.i use spinach for both.Just chop up roughly and add to eg a scone mix with some cheese, feta, onions and I ALWAYS add a tspn of chicken stock.all sounds a little weird (esp the chicken stock), but I promise you that everyone will rave.DON"T cook the spinach first.just throw into recipe raw!

kylie_m, May 27, 10:54am
Make spinach, mushroom and thyme soup. Looks foul but is oh-so-tasty, and it'll use up a heap of the stuff!

marcs, May 27, 11:17am
Silverbeet soup Yum
5 cups chicken stock
1 onion chopped
750g potatos
500g silverbeet
3/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup parmesean cheese

Saute onion is a bit of oil or butter till soft. Add potatoes and stock and boil for 5 minutes or until soft. Wash silver beat and shred (like to use the leaves only as I don't like stalks). Add sliverbeet and cook for 3 minutes. Add sour cream and cheese. take off heat and blend till pureed. Serve hot. you can put it back on to heat but do not boil. YUM

samanya, May 28, 5:26am
I'm going to try your recipe .love the stuff.
I make soup too, no amounts as it's just guess work on my part.
Sauté onion garlic & Silver beet with some curry powder, when beet is barely cooked, remove & make a thin roux sauce in the pan, whizz up S beet mixture & add to sauce .yummy.

rosewildvinyl, May 28, 5:49am
I like this courtesy Digby Law
Melt 2 tabs butter in a saucepan & stir in 2 tabs flour.
Remove from heat & add 1 cup milk, return to heat & stir until thickened, it's quite thick at this stage.
Add 1 1/2 cups cooked SB greens, S & P, 1 tsp grated onion.
Coll a little then stir in 3 beaten egg yolks.
Fold in 3 stiffly beaten egg whites.
Pour into a greased ring tin, place in a pan of hot water & bake 180 degrees for about 30 mins or until firm.
Umould & serve as a side vegetable or the centre can be fill with creamed fish etc.
I have even baked this in large muffin pans, for a much shorter time, of course.

bev00, Sep 17, 12:18pm
saving for spinach fans