Basil pesto recipie needed, have you got a good 1

Page 1 / 2
edens_house, Jan 5, 10:52am
gona do it again and couldnt find my recipie again so glad its still on here

nik12, Jan 5, 11:03am
How many gms would 4T pinenuts be!

gardie, Jan 5, 5:23pm
And here I was wondering why you have basil and mine is struggling to grow!Have planted plenty this year so hopefully I'll actually get to make some pesto.Trouble is, I find it goes brown on the top - will need to try freezing this year - maybe in ice cube trays.

katalin2, Jan 5, 7:40pm
If you pour a layer of olive oil on top of the pesto once it is made it won't go brown. Also, pumpkin seeds work just as well- or walnuts - I never use pine nuts these days because of the cost.

joybells2, Jan 6, 10:04pm
I always use cashews because of the cost of pinenuts, like gold they are.I freeze in icecube trays and then remove when frozen and put in plastic bags and pop back in the freezer, then you only need to take out what you want.

herself, Jan 6, 10:43pm
Should I toast the sun flower seeds before making the pesto with them!

otterhound, Jan 7, 1:47am
I've just made mine using a mortar and pestle, cos I don't have a food processor type thingy.Hard work, but man do I feel virtuous!=)

davidt4, Jan 7, 5:56am
Good on you.I sometimes use a mortar and pestle because the flavour is clearer when it's made that way; there isn't so much aeration.Hard work I agree.

edens_house, May 15, 6:57am
have some fresh basil and have misplaced my recipie, can anybody help please?

babytears, May 15, 7:20am
Olive oil, parmesan, basil and cashew nuts

bengals, May 15, 7:21am
Or roasted pine nuts

johne21, May 15, 7:26am
almonds, basil, parsley, Parmesan &olive oil

seaspray1, May 15, 7:52am
Wow Bengals - can you afford pinenuts?Near choked when I saw they are over $100 a kg!!Do love them though......I use cashews or walnuts in my pesto now.

edens_house, May 16, 12:51am
What sort of quantities of each ingrediant would you use? ...

edens_house, May 16, 6:57am
have some fresh basil and have misplaced my recipie, can anybody help please!

seaspray1, May 16, 7:52am
Wow Bengals - can you afford pinenuts!Near choked when I saw they are over $100 a kg!Do love them though.I use cashews or walnuts in my pesto now.

hilt_dwane, May 16, 11:03am
4 tablespoons pine nuts
4 cups fresh basil leaves
6 cloves garlic
6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
olive oil
pepper

Combine ingredients (except for oil) in kitchen whizz. Slowly add oil until well mixed. Put into small containers no bigger than 1/2 cup quantity. Freezes well.

janny3, May 16, 11:44am
Brazils any good?

fishb8, May 16, 1:52pm
Chestnuts are really cheap, right now:-
We were give a big bag of chestnuts - put in fridge to age, then prick shell and boil for 20 minutes. Peel and scrape off the lining and crumble
1 cup of crumbled chestnuts
1 cup of fresh basil
1/2 cup of parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup of parmesan cheese
3 crushed cloves of garlic
juice of 1 lemon
salt and black pepper to taste

Process basil, parsley and parmesan in blender, the add the rest of ingredients. Keep in fridge - freezes well.

edens_house, May 17, 12:51am
What sort of quantities of each ingrediant would you use! .

janny3, May 17, 11:44am
Brazils any good!

bengals, May 17, 9:21pm
No I cant afford them, havent bought them for a bit - to be honest I usually just grab what I need and not look at the price per kg - probably why my bill is so high at the end!

horizons_, May 17, 11:14pm
Sunflower seeds work just as well and much cheaper if having to buy.One of the cooking shows use toasted breadcrumbs (even cheaper) as an alternative recently.

edens_house, May 19, 9:30am
Cool , thanks heeps for all your good tips, lookin forward to the results... Cheers

macandrosie, May 19, 10:02am
this is mine, I grow my own basil in the tunnelhouse which helps keep the price down a bit:
Basil Pesto
50gr cashew nuts
1 cup basil leaves
2 tsp minced garlic
½ tsp salt
½ cup olive oil
50 gr parmesan cheese
Place all ingreds into the food processor & blend until smooth & creamy.