burger buns or dinner rolls
cheese
marge
bacon (prefer streaky)
eggs (tray)
flour
milk
sausages.
meals: chicken put into a large pot and cover with water. Add 1 chopped onion and 1-2 stalks celery including the green tops and a chopped carrot, bay leaf and if you have a sprig of fresh thyme and parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Boil for a couple of hours or until the meat falls off the bones.
Remove carcass (bones) and pour liquid through a strainer into a bowl, put all the meat to one side.
let the liquid get cold (refrigerate overnight), skim off the fat which will form a solid layer on top. This is your chicken stock and can be used in any recipe calling for stock or as a base for soups.
The meat, divide it into 2 or 3,have one lot as chicken with vegies, another make homemade enchilada's (easy recipe to follow) and if you have a 3rd lot add it to some of the stock with vegies and soup mix to make a chicken soup.

kinna54, May 13, 3:11am
Buying a big chook on special goes a long way, but I never spend much over $11. I can get a good roast meal from that and chicken chow mein next day.
Bangers & mash is reasonable if you shop around for sausage prices. Fish pie is cheap, good ol mince can be served a hundred ways. Meat loaves are good, and can be sliced for lunches.
Also a good one is nana's toastie bake: Sliced budget or cheap bread buttered, 1 can spaghetti or baked beans, any sliced left over veges, 3-4 rashers bacon,or some slices of shaved ham cut up, or1 or 2cooked sliced sausages and a bit of cheese to just sprinkle over the top. Place bread butter side down in a lge non stick dish, spread over the can of beans or spaghettti, left over veg (cooked potato, pumpkin, peas whatever)bacon or meat, top with a sprinkle of cheese.Cook at 180c until cooked thru. Good sunday night tea or weekend lunch. I make lots of pizzas (make my own bases) and rice dishes. Fried rice goes a long way.

lythande1, May 13, 3:16am
Buy the fatty one and pou off the fat once you've fried it and before you add your herbs and bits.
And as you say, shop to a menu. And shop around. Supermarkets are not cheap for veges, fruit or meat. I buy meat 3 times a year in bulk, veges and fruit either grown ourselves or from the vege shops, and I know all of them, who is cheapest for what.
Ditto other stuff, washing powder and loo paper - The Warehouse. And so on. Make more stuff, buy ingredients in bulk, it's cheaper. get a bigger freezer.

nauru, May 13, 12:53pm
Pasta Vege Bake
Make up about 1 litre cheese sauce using 1 cup grated cheese.
Cook 500g pasta, drain well.Mixtogether, 1 grated courgette, 1 grated carrot, 1/2 onion chopped, 2 cloves garlic chopped, 2 large flat mushrooms sliced,1/2 each red & green pepper chopped, 1/4 cup chopped parsley.1 cup grated cheese.
Grease a lasagna type dish. Put a third of the pasta in dish and spoon over some of the cheese sauce, add half of veges on top and some cheese sauce, add another third pasta and top with sauce, top with rest of veges and cheese sauce. Put rest pasta on top and remainder sauce, sprinkle top with grated cheese and bake @ 180C for 30 minutes, serve with salad.
You can use the veges of your choice and some chopped ham or bacon if you like. I made this tonight and used Ricotta between the layers too. This is also very nice made with Marinara seafood mix instead of veges between the pasta.

taniajane, May 13, 8:41pm
I use to flat for free with a bunch of cowboys in Canada.i had a place to keep my 80 horses (for work) as long as i did all the cooking.I got $80 a fortnight from the 4 of them.
I also use to go to work at 5am and wouldn't be back till 7-8pm so the crock pot was my hero.
I would buy cheep mince, the fat adds flavour and if you've seen cowboys you'd know there are not many overweight ones.Id bulk this out with lots of lentils, black beans, kidney beans, spilt peas while adding garlic, ginger, bit of chilli, balsamic vinegar or lea & perrins.the next day before i left to work i would take the left overs, not much but fill it out with stock and leave it on the stove for soup with crackers or tacos and bread.Check out recipes on Google for hamburger soup.
one fav was Cajun cabbage,
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
250-500g ground beef
1 green pepper, chopped(optional)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 or two cans diced tomatoes, undrained ( i like two cans)
1/2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1head cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Add chillies or jalapenos if you like.
Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown together the beef, green pepper, onion, and garlic until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables have softened, about 8 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato, rice, salt, basil, oregano, and the cayenne, white, and black pepper (adding more pepper to taste, if desired). Spread mixture into an ungreasedbaking pan. alternate layers with with cabbage and top with cheese.
Cover and bake in preheated oven for 65 to 75 minutes, or until the rice is tender. yum.

pickles7, May 13, 10:52pm
I am not sure price wise, of saving much for just two people though, a family, yes, as there is not that much runny sauce, not like, as in, 5 cans.

Baked beans

500 grams of navy beans, soaked over night in water
lightly fry;
4 rashers of bacon chopped
2 large onions chopped
add;
2 cans of tomatoes
1/3 cup of molasses
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp of my chili jam
Pour into a slow cooker along with the soaked beans
3 cups of water
3/4 cup of brown sugar
cook 10 hours, on auto, in the slow cooker

taniajane, May 14, 8:41pm
I use to flat for free with a bunch of cowboys in Canada.i had a place to keep my 80 horses (for work) as long as i did all the cooking.I got $80 a fortnight from the 4 of them.
I also use to go to work at 5am and wouldn't be back till 7-8pm so the crock pot was my hero.
I would buy cheep mince, the fat adds flavour and if you've seen cowboys you'd know there are not many overweight ones.Id bulk this out with lots of lentils, black beans, kidney beans, spilt peas while adding garlic, ginger, bit of chilli, balsamic vinegar or lea & perrins.the next day before i left to work i would take the left overs, not much but fill it out with stock and leave it on the stove for soup with crackers or tacos and bread.Check out recipes on Google for hamburger soup.
one fav was Cajun cabbage,
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
250-500g ground beef
1 green pepper, chopped(optional)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 or two cans diced tomatoes, undrained ( i like two cans)
1/2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1head cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Add chillies or jalapenos if you like.
Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown together the beef, green pepper, onion, and garlic until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables have softened, about 8 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato, rice, salt, basil, oregano, and the cayenne, white, and black pepper (adding more pepper to taste, if desired). Spread mixture into an ungreasedbaking pan. alternate layers with with cabbage and top with cheese.
Cover and bake in preheated oven for 65 to 75 minutes, or until the rice is tender. yum.