How to make Girdle scones???

Page 1 / 2
zahna, May 8, 9:56am
My nana makes the best girdle scones!
Does anybody know if there is an alternative way of making them since i don't have an oven with a girdle?? Can you use a special pan or anything like that??

melford, May 8, 10:24am
Yes you can cook them in an electric frypan, works perfectly.

gardie, May 8, 6:31pm
Glad to know that - my nana used to make them too - we loved helping, especially putting in the golden syrup.I must try them like this.

susieq9, May 8, 11:02pm
Is this just an ordinary scone mixture, and cook in electric frypan? Would like to know a little about girdle scones.

cgvl, May 8, 11:12pm
do you mean gridle scones?
I do mine in a large heavy frypan on stove top ..... we always called them frypan scones. Or camp scones.

zahna, May 9, 12:14am
Oh wow thank u!
im definitly going to try that, yum! Once i've got the recipe off my nana. cgvl- i think they are called girdle, thats what ive always known them to be, & what my family always called them, could b wrong tho :)
Susieq- I hope someone with more knowledge then me can fill you in as they are a great tasty scone for sweet or savoury toppings :)

waswoods, May 9, 12:37am
From Wikipedia: "The griddle scone is a variety of scone which is fried in a small amount of butter on a griddle or frying pan rather than baked.
In the Scots language, a griddle is referred to as a "girdle". Therefore "griddle scones" are known as "girdle scones". This usage is also common in New Zealand where scones, of all varieties, form an important part of the traditional cuisine. In New Zealand, griddle scones are generally cooked as one large disk shaped mass which is divided into wedges for serving, often with golden syrup or jam"

cowman33, May 9, 4:27am
google be-ro uk good recipe

gardie, May 9, 6:11am
x1
Definately girdle scones in my house (Scottish ancestry)

fifie, May 9, 6:28am
Girdle scones can be made on a girdle, like the photo someone put up, or i often use my cast iron fry pan on the gas pat your mixture out into a round cut scones into triangles and cook.

lizab, May 9, 7:29am
We called them flour scones (Scot here) and they were cooked in the pan like the photo above. They were lovely too!

kay141, May 9, 7:57am
Girdle scones in my house, a southerner. They were very plain, just flour. BP and milk I think. Patted into a round and then cut into sedments like shortbread by Nana. Squares for Mum, she had more to feed, Both of the girdles were cast iron, round and flat, with a handle over the top. Both women cooked on coal ranges and that handle got extremely hot. Served hot with lots of butter, syrup or cheese. Cold ones would be sandwiched with cheese and reheated until the cheese melted. No worries about fat content or the price of dairy in those days.

olwen, May 9, 8:17am
Quite some years ago the warehouse had them for sale.That was when the warehouse was quite new.

rubyjane11, May 9, 9:23am
I have a cast iron girdle that I use...makes fantastic scones

zahna, May 9, 9:56am
My nana makes the best girdle scones!
Does anybody know if there is an alternative way of making them since i don't have an oven with a girdle! Can you use a special pan or anything like that!

susieq9, May 9, 11:02pm
Is this just an ordinary scone mixture, and cook in electric frypan! Would like to know a little about girdle scones.

cgvl, May 9, 11:12pm
do you mean gridle scones!
I do mine in a large heavy frypan on stove top . we always called them frypan scones. Or camp scones.

zahna, May 10, 12:14am
Oh wow thank u!
im definitly going to try that, yum! Once i've got the recipe off my nana. cgvl- i think they are called girdle, thats what ive always known them to be, & what my family always called them, could b wrong tho :)
Susieq- I hope someone with more knowledge then me can fill you in as they are a great tasty scone for sweet or savoury toppings :)

rubyjane11, May 10, 9:23am
I have a cast iron girdle that I use.makes fantastic scones

allspices, May 14, 6:31am
I bought a "griddle " to use on my gas burner to make pikelets and it's great - cast aluminium rather than iron with a handle over the top which I turn down when I cook. (Looks a bit like the pan in post #9 without the sides) Son-in-law who loves to cook pancakes, asked for the next one I saw. On the next visit by family, I used the new purchase, plus my first purchase to do pikelets for a large group before I handed it on, but developed a new family tradition. SIL will have the next one I see but 2 griddles make mass production a breeze.(20 mins from go for a double recipe) I'm still looking for his one!. My Mum used to make Girdle scones in a frypan - I'd forgotten this and will have a go. Yep, we had them with golden syrup too. Do we have the recipe yet? I remember my Mum doing them dry with flour on the griddle. Yep, she called them "girdle scones". Hey , neat thread with a historical theme! Thanks.

lindar, May 14, 6:37am
Would rather the home made with fat content any day rather than all the foreign objectsthat seem to go into low fat food we buy! might make some tomorrow, does anyone have a recipe.

falcon33, May 14, 6:39am
interested now.any recipes for these available other than the internet

kay141, May 14, 7:18am
From my Edmonds book
Girdle Scones.
1 cup flour
1 teasp baking pwder
1/8 teasp salt
1 tablesp butter
milk to mix

Sift dry ingredients, rub in butter. Add suffcent milk to make a stiff dough. Roll our fairly thin, make into a round and cut into 8. Cook on a hot, greased girdle 5 mins each side.
I know Mum never put butter in them and she sprinkled flour on the girdle. I used to make them years ago and did the same as my mother. Don't most of us?

horizons_, May 14, 10:17pm
x1
Scone recipe. I vary my girdle scones the same as a scone dough. Savoury, sweet. They cook fine. Our favs are cheese. A large frying pan is sufficient for cooking these on the stove top.

allspices, May 15, 6:31am
I bought a "griddle " to use on my gas burner to make pikelets and it's great - cast aluminium rather than iron with a handle over the top which I turn down when I cook. (Looks a bit like the pan in post #9 without the sides) Son-in-law who loves to cook pancakes, asked for the next one I saw. On the next visit by family, I used the new purchase, plus my first purchase to do pikelets for a large group before I handed it on, but developed a new family tradition. SIL will have the next one I see but 2 griddles make mass production a breeze.(20 mins from go for a double recipe) I'm still looking for his one!. My Mum used to make Girdle scones in a frypan - I'd forgotten this and will have a go. Yep, we had them with golden syrup too. Do we have the recipe yet! I remember my Mum doing them dry with flour on the griddle. Yep, she called them "girdle scones". Hey , neat thread with a historical theme! Thanks.