Meat tenderizer

squeakygirl, May 5, 3:56am
Any one know where I can get a roller or spiked meat tenderizer at a reasonable price?

nzl99, May 5, 3:58am
You could try the salvation army... sounds silly but you can often find things like that at second hand stores.

cookessentials, May 5, 4:12am
Most cookware stores have the mallets.

omokoroa1, May 5, 4:13am
ive a very very easy marinade if you want

squeakygirl, May 5, 4:30am
Thanks omokoroa. That would be good. I have a mallet but have been doing ox heart steaks in bulk for the freezer and all that hammering is hard on me and the bench!! It really needs to be tenderized to give it the right texture but it's lovely to eat when done properly.

omokoroa1, May 5, 4:32am
kiwifruit pulp thats all you need tenderizes beautifully damn even if you have no teef you can still chew it

:my marinade:
soya sauce
kiwifruit pulp
crushed garlic
soft brown sugar

omokoroa1, May 5, 4:34am
kiwifruit pulp ....you dont have to do ( my marinade)
but kiwifruit pulp does tenderize meat .......good luck hope it helps

lindylambchops1, May 5, 4:38am
I used a kiwi fruit on steak the other night was deliciously tender!

squeakygirl, May 5, 6:43am
Thank you all so much. I have used kiwifruit before but this is more about getting the texture right. However I will try the marinade.

beaker59, May 5, 7:04am
I have a large wooden block and use the back of my big breadknife but it does take a while.

Tell me about these Ox heart steaks though what do you do with them?

squeakygirl, May 5, 7:41pm
From Alison Holst's book - cut diagonal slices, trim to produce a steak shape. Tender if cooked rare. Use mallet for texture. Good flavour, excellent value.
I also use them for stews and stuff and pot roast.

sarahj1, May 6, 12:26am
Use the Chinese restaurant secret meat tenderizer: baking soda!Google it for tips, but basically you rub it onto the meat and leave for about 10 minutes then (obviously!) rinse really well and dry.

squeakygirl, May 6, 3:56am
Any one know where I can get a roller or spiked meat tenderizer at a reasonable price!

nzl99, May 6, 3:58am
You could try the salvation army. sounds silly but you can often find things like that at second hand stores.

squeakygirl, May 6, 4:30am
Thanks omokoroa. That would be good. I have a mallet but have been doing ox heart steaks in bulk for the freezer and all that hammering is hard on me and the bench! It really needs to be tenderized to give it the right texture but it's lovely to eat when done properly.

omokoroa1, May 6, 4:34am
kiwifruit pulp .you dont have to do ( my marinade)
but kiwifruit pulp does tenderize meat .good luck hope it helps

beaker59, May 6, 7:04am
I have a large wooden block and use the back of my big breadknife but it does take a while.

Tell me about these Ox heart steaks though what do you do with them!

squeakygirl, May 6, 7:41pm
From Alison Holst's book - cut diagonal slices, trim to produce a steak shape. Tender if cooked rare. Use mallet for texture. Good flavour, excellent value.
I also use them for stews and stuff and pot roast.