Page 2 / 2
bev00, Jun 24, 9:07am
LEMON CHEESE (Good)
4 Egg– Beaten a little
4 Lemons – Juice and Rind
250g Butter – dice if hard
450g Sugar

Method:
• Cook in a stainless steel bowl which has been placed over a pot of boiling water
• Ensure the bowl is over the water and that it isn’t in it or egg will cook in lumps (curdle)
• Put your jars and lids in another pot and boil while you are cooking the lemon cheese
• I start it off on the lowest temp setting and keep increasing heat in small increments till it starts to thicken, then I turn it back a notch.
• It is important not to cook at too high a temperature or the egg in the mix will cook independently.

Into the bowl over the boiling water put - Rind, Juice, Butter, and Sugar
Stir till Sugar and Butter has just dissolved – do not let it get too hot
Add beaten eggs immediately, while mixture is still coolish
Keep stirring till it gets thickish (doesn’t need to be very thick because it will set thick)
Pour into sterilised jars and seal with sterilised lids
Once cooled and lids have popped, store in the fridge.

buzzy110 (69 )3:52 pm, Sun 10 Oct

carlosjackal, Jun 24, 9:16am
You've got plenty to choose from now, but here is Annabel Langbein's recipe from her book "Free Range Cook":

1 1/2 cups caster sugar
220g butter, diced
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 1/4 cups lemon juice (about 6 juicy lemons),strained
6 large eggs

place the sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice in a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl, or in a double boiler. Heat over medium heat till butter melted.
Whisk the eggs in a seperate bowl and stir them into the butter mixture. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 3-5 mins. Make sure the mixture doesn't boil. It's ready when the lemon curd holds a line when you run your finger across the back of the coated spoon.
Remove from the heat immediately, stirring a little to stop it from overheating on the base. Don't worry if it seems a little runny , it will thicken as it cools. Pour the hot mixture through a strainer into a jug to remove any lemon zest or flecks of egg white, then pour it into hot sterilized jars(about 4) and seal. Will keep for several weeks in fridge.

sarahb5, Aug 27, 1:58am
Bumped because I was looking for the butter free microwave recipe which is #16 in this thread

bev00, Oct 14, 9:46am
Even easier is the microwave method. So quick & easy. I make a new batch every 2 - 3 weeks. Yummy!
Lemon Curd ( Microwave)
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 cup fresh lemon juice
Zest from 3 lemons
1/2cup melted butter
In a microwave safe bowl (2 litre pyrex) whisk together the sugar & eggs until smooth.
Whisk in the juice, zest & melted butter.
Cook in the microwave on High for 1 minute intervals. Whisk well each time.
Keep doing this until it thickens & coats the back of a metal spoon.
Store in sterilized jars for 1 month in the fridge.

Quotenzbadger (563 )10:35 pm, Thu 13 Oct #25

Here is mine and is the smoothest one tried.

Secret is to whisk the eggs fully before adding other ingredients and to constantly stir and whisk until the butter has melted fully and on low heat as not to curdle the egg mixture.

Makes about 2 cups;

3 larger eggs like size 7 at least well beaten with a whisk,
1 1/4 cups (slightly heaped) sugar,
1 heaped tablespoon very finely grated fresh lemon rind,
A wee fraction over 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (pips removed),
a good 60 grams butter chopped into small cubes.

Combine all ingredients in a heatproof bowl that will fit into a saucepan and above on simmering water on low to medium heat. Constantly whisking the mixture until thickens and coats the back of a spoon.

Remove from heat and pour into warm steralised jars, then put on lids.

When cooled, labelled etc, store in refrigerator overnight before using, keep in fridge to store.

This is very nice and very smooth if done precisely.

Editing to add that one easily multiply this recipe 4 fold when plenty of lemons abound.

Cheers.

Quotevalentino (520 )8:58 am,

harrislucinda, Oct 14, 9:53am
since seeingthis microwaverecipeon here i have madeit2 times
so quickandeasy

sarahb5, Oct 14, 10:58pm
Me too - I always have a jar in the fridge now and it's so easy even my daughter at uni makes it - she's a very popular flat mate!

huia991, Oct 14, 11:43pm
This is from my grandmother's recipe book

Lemon Cheese
90g butter(converted from imperial)
½ c sugar
2 large lemons
2 eggs

Place butter & sugar in top part of double boiler or in a basin which fits into the top of a saucepan.Grate rind of lemons & sprinkle over butter & sugar.Juice lemons, strain and add.Cook over gently simmering water stirring until sugar is dissolved and butter melted.Remove from heat.Beat eggs and strain into lemon.Return to heat & stir constantly until the cheese is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.Pour into jars, cover when cool.Store in fridge.

harrislucinda, Oct 15, 1:46am
huia991sameingredforthemicrowavenomessing aroundwithdouble boilersjustsapp3timesfor20secondsandmadeyou shouldtry

sarahb5, Oct 15, 1:50am
The microwave recipe I use doesn't have butter in it

An easy, butter-free way in the microwave. reduce the sugar to your taste too if you want. this is our favourite.

Place in a microwave jug/bowl:

Zest and juice of 3 lemons
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs

Whisk well till blended together.

Microwave on high for 2 minutes, whisk again
Microwave for 1 minute at a time, whisking after each minute, until getting thick
Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, whisking again, until thick.

Pour into hot sterilised jars, place lids on and leave to cool.

Keep in your fridge and use within 2 weeks.