WAGGU BEEF-HOW TO COOK

konini2, Apr 22, 4:58am
I saw prepackaged(vacum packed)Waggu Beef in the supermarket the other day $24!!. Leaving aside the cost, I read the instructions and it said to cook over a "high heat" for 3 mins each side and then let rest for 10 minutes!! It was not a very large piece of meat and seemed fatty.I understand that it a very highly prized meat in Japan and the animals are feed special dietsI would be most interested to read the opinions of those of you who have purchased/cooked this product and your opinion. Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I would value the opinions of local people who have cooked/eaten this product.Thanks for your views/comments in advance

cheeseepoof, Apr 22, 5:30am
google how to spell it, wagyu

konini2, Apr 22, 5:35am
Yes I have-and I did

trish441, Apr 22, 5:56am
Theres always one in every thread!!

dippychik, Apr 22, 5:58am
They're right with the quick cooking over high heat, it's delish. Resting for a long time is also very important.... at least as long as its cooked for, if not longer. Looks fatty because the meat is well marbled - how beef should be to taste amazing and be very juicy and tender, but unfortunately the marbled look is something that puts a lot of kiwis off because it looks too "fatty" so we dont have a huge market here

pickles7, Apr 22, 6:39am
Wagyu cattle produce unsaturated fats to a much greater degree than any other beef breed in the world, giving the meat its unique flavour and delectable tenderness. Full of ‘healthy fats’, Wagyu beef also contains essential combined nutrients not found elsewhere, with all the essential amino acids present in the correct ratio to build proteins for strong and healthy bones.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 6:46am
It has beautiful marbling of fat through it which means it cooks really well and stays tender and tasty.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 6:53am
I have cooked it the same as I would a good piece of eye fillet...pretty much as you described above #1. I used a heavy based pan on a high heat and cooked about 1-2 mins,turned and browned and then let it rest for about 5 mins. This gave us a medium rare piece which is how we like it. I like it with some fat/marbling as this helps keep the meat moist,tender and very tasty.

cheeseepoof, Apr 22, 7:59am
Marbling doesn't have a huge influence on tenderness of meat only about 20%

cookessentials, Apr 22, 8:04am
it is the fat that makes it tender and tasty and whether it's 20% or not...it beats meat trimmed of all fat and no marbling.

cheeseepoof, Apr 22, 8:10am
No it is not the fat that makes meat tender its the size and strength of the muscle fibers and connective tissue that determine the tenderness of meat.

konini2, Apr 22, 8:18am
Thanks for your positive comments/advice. I did google How to cook Wagyu Beef and there were some interesting YouTube vids. Despite the high cost (understandable), I will buy, cook and try. Cannot remember the product range, but also included venison, lamb loins and had a range of "Peter Gordon" sauces/marinades.

cheeseepoof, Apr 22, 8:28am
Be sure to buy the thickest pieces available.

konini2, Apr 23, 4:58am
I saw prepackaged(vacum packed)Waggu Beef in the supermarket the other day $24!. Leaving aside the cost, I read the instructions and it said to cook over a "high heat" for 3 mins each side and then let rest for 10 minutes! It was not a very large piece of meat and seemed fatty.I understand that it a very highly prized meat in Japan and the animals are feed special dietsI would be most interested to read the opinions of those of you who have purchased/cooked this product and your opinion. Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I would value the opinions of local people who have cooked/eaten this product.Thanks for your views/comments in advance

trish441, Apr 23, 5:56am
Theres always one in every thread!

dippychik, Apr 23, 5:58am
They're right with the quick cooking over high heat, it's delish. Resting for a long time is also very important. at least as long as its cooked for, if not longer. Looks fatty because the meat is well marbled - how beef should be to taste amazing and be very juicy and tender, but unfortunately the marbled look is something that puts a lot of kiwis off because it looks too "fatty" so we dont have a huge market here

cookessentials, Apr 23, 6:53am
I have cooked it the same as I would a good piece of eye fillet.pretty much as you described above #1. I used a heavy based pan on a high heat and cooked about 1-2 mins,turned and browned and then let it rest for about 5 mins. This gave us a medium rare piece which is how we like it. I like it with some fat/marbling as this helps keep the meat moist,tender and very tasty.

cheeseepoof, Apr 23, 7:59am
Marbling doesn't have a huge influence on tenderness of meat only about 20%

cookessentials, Apr 23, 8:04am
it is the fat that makes it tender and tasty and whether it's 20% or not.it beats meat trimmed of all fat and no marbling.