Whimsical cake

la_laa1, Apr 19, 11:21pm
Has anyone done one of these? any tips? my cakes are cooked and in the freezer, there just seems so much potential for disaster lol. I have googled and u tubed, any added advise greatfully accepted!

nzl99, Apr 19, 11:23pm
HA!I'm attempting a four layered red velvet cake and a croquembouche style tower this weekend and thought that was ambitious... Man!Would love to see your finished creation! :-)

la_laa1, Apr 19, 11:35pm
I have done a croquembouche tower, its not as hard as it looks! I was a little dissapointed with the spun sugar but it only dropped a little and it was caused by the humidity on the day. Good luck! and above all never admit defeat..... :)

nzl99, Apr 20, 2:01am
Thanks chiccky... I've made a couple before... but this is more in the style of, than an actual... going to use two fillings, choc and orange creme pattisere (sp)... and adhere them to the outside of a cone as I don't need too many, but still want that dramatic look.Have got different size jaffas to fill in gaps, chocolate organza ribbon and a star thinggee to come out the top... will dip the top of profiteroles in dark choc... and hope like buggery it works out. haha

amie.mac, Apr 20, 6:06am
Yes! make sure you have boards to sit each cake on and different height stands to hold up each cake, have found that as long as you have good supports in the cake they hold pretty good. Good luck!

dantes_auntie, Apr 20, 6:16am
never tiried to make it

la_laa1, Apr 20, 11:21pm
Has anyone done one of these! any tips! my cakes are cooked and in the freezer, there just seems so much potential for disaster lol. I have googled and u tubed, any added advise greatfully accepted!

nzl99, Apr 20, 11:23pm
HA!I'm attempting a four layered red velvet cake and a croquembouche style tower this weekend and thought that was ambitious. Man!Would love to see your finished creation! :-)

la_laa1, Apr 20, 11:35pm
I have done a croquembouche tower, its not as hard as it looks! I was a little dissapointed with the spun sugar but it only dropped a little and it was caused by the humidity on the day. Good luck! and above all never admit defeat. :)

nzl99, Apr 21, 2:01am
Thanks chiccky. I've made a couple before. but this is more in the style of, than an actual. going to use two fillings, choc and orange creme pattisere (sp). and adhere them to the outside of a cone as I don't need too many, but still want that dramatic look.Have got different size jaffas to fill in gaps, chocolate organza ribbon and a star thinggee to come out the top. will dip the top of profiteroles in dark choc. and hope like buggery it works out. haha

sclaredy_cat, Apr 22, 6:04am
I did this one, is this the type you mean? They are difficult, not for the novice ( as I found out lol!)I have a 5 tier one coming up and it is makingme a bit nervous!This site is awesome too by the way if you havent seen it already, a good topsy turvy tutorial on there too :) http://cakecentral.com/gallery/900793

rosathemad, Apr 23, 12:31am
My main tip would be just to allow plenty of time and take it slowly. :-)

I've made a few of these, and have written up a bit of a tutorial here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/11/how-to-make-topsy-turvy-cake.html - but really, take it slow, make sure you have everything you need. If you're colouring the icing it's much better to have too much than try to match it later (you can always wrap it up tightly and use it for something else later). Good luck!

sclaredy_cat, Apr 23, 6:04am
I did this one, is this the type you mean! They are difficult, not for the novice ( as I found out lol!)I have a 5 tier one coming up and it is makingme a bit nervous!This site is awesome too by the way if you havent seen it already, a good topsy turvy tutorial on there too :) http://cakecentral.com/gallery/900793

rosathemad, Apr 24, 12:31am
My main tip would be just to allow plenty of time and take it slowly. :-)

I've made a few of these, and have written up a bit of a tutorial here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/11/how-to-make-topsy-turvy-cake.html - but really, take it slow, make sure you have everything you need. If you're colouring the icing it's much better to have too much than try to match it later (you can always wrap it up tightly and use it for something else later). Good luck!