Butter and cheese are increasing in price again !!

Page 3 / 4
lugarru, Apr 13, 10:18am
Interesting considering most brands come off the same block of cheese.

kuaka, Apr 13, 10:49am
and you have proof of this?I can honestly say that the valumetric and homebrand tasty cheese is not as tasty as the mainland brand.I also found a couple of months ago that the mainland tasty wasn't as tasty as usual, and when I complained about it, the helpful lady who listened to my complaint, asked for the batch number and then said "yeah, we released that batch before it was fully matured and we've had lots of complaints".So maybe it's not so much the brand of cheese as the length it is kept before being marketed.

karenbnz, Apr 13, 11:11am
Buy kg block of cheese on special...grate it and freeze it works a treat

kuaka, Apr 13, 11:21am
karenbnz - I don't need to freeze cheese, a 1kg block of cheese doesn't last long in this household, and there's only me, hubby and the cat!I only ever buy it on special, but another increase might just put it out of reach altogether.

dezzie, Apr 13, 7:28pm
budget brands are fine, I'm fussy about tasty cheese, but, if you inspect the packs at the supermarket and find ones with a bit of salt coming out of the cheese on the sides..they are usually really tasty and good, or if you have the time, leave a block sitting in the back of a vege bin for a few months, it often is just a question of maturity

kay141, Apr 13, 8:30pm
I only buy tasty as well and usually Mainland but last time Valuemetric was on special. It is tastier than Mainland has been for a while. I do notice though that none are crumbly anymore and are very hard to grate. Also none are as tasty as they used to be unless you buy the small blocks of extra tasty or such like. I find I am using more parmesan in cooking to get the flavour without all the cheese.

bretz, Apr 13, 8:40pm
so hapy this week have been stewing apples now they are in season and put in frezer, made home made butter last night with 500ml of cream will do baking today to see how it goes must say made a saving with that. what else can I try? help please.

kuaka, Apr 13, 9:26pm
bretz - how much butter did you make with 500ml of cream - might sound like a daft question, but did you end up with 500gram or not?

nfh1, Apr 13, 9:27pm
Everything will go up due to the vast rise in transportation costs, increases to minimum wage, ACC Levies, power prices.It must be really tough when you have to shop for children too - only two of us here and I have definitely noticed the increases.

prawn_whiskas, Apr 13, 9:45pm
500ml cream makes just under 225g of butter, its not cheaper as that 500ml of cream at the cheapest supermarket rate is $6.30.

Its most definitely nicer and fresher but twice the price as block butter.

rainrain1, Apr 13, 10:01pm
I wonder how a young family copes, it's pretty tough alright, and I feel for them

kuaka, Apr 13, 10:33pm
and what about the pensioners - I'm on the old age pension along with my hubby, but because I'm not yet old enough to qualify, we both get it at a reduced rate.We only survive because our council offers a "rate-withholding" scheme and we decided we couldn't justify struggling to pay some $2000 odd in rates, just so that there is no debt against the house when we pop our clogs.So even though we don't have a mortgage, there is a slowly increasing debt on our property, but we don't have to find that $40 odd a week to pay the rates.Also I will notice a difference when my old cat (she's 16 and not very well) departs, as she is high maintenance at the moment, as she won't go outside to the toilet and it costs me a fortune in kitty litter.All things to take into account.

elliehen, Apr 13, 10:57pm
Great tip, dezzie.In my ignorance, I once phoned an 0800 number to ask whether my white encrusted cheese was OK to eat and was told I was very fortunate to have happened upon a well-matured one.After eating it, I agreed :)

motorbo, Apr 13, 11:54pm
i buy cheese on a very rare occasion, its not that good for you anyways....plenty of other ways to get protein and calicum

tahnasha, Apr 13, 11:59pm
Holey crap, when did cream get so expensive!

kay141, Apr 14, 12:05am
I have just been to Pak n Save, Lower Hutt, there were no kilo blocks of tasty cheese at all. The largest was 750g for about $13.50 and was Dairymaid.
I did get 500g Dairymaid butter for $3.98.

Edited to add butter.

prawn_whiskas, Apr 14, 12:25am
Since I lost my mind clearly lol thats the 1ltr price! thats what I buy so thats what was in my head, $3.19 I think is what I saw when I last bought cream at the 500ml price last week.

So it would take 1 ltr of cream to make around 500g of butter, $6.30ish so not far off a normal block anyway and much nicer.

litedelites, Apr 14, 1:06am
Hi
Pak N Save in Wainoni had 1kg block of cheese on special for $9.99- a bragin nowdays!I bought one last night.If you don't use much at a time - you can freeze cheese.It was Edam cheese and I think the brand was Alpine. T

kay141, Apr 14, 1:13am
Lower Hutt had 1k blocks on special too, every sort except tasty. I only buy tasty and have found Alpine to be somewhat rubbery and not tasty at all.

dezzie, Apr 14, 1:26am
With alpine the colby is frequently tastier than the tasty..

spoeklet, Apr 14, 1:55am
I don't make anything that involves cheese anymore because I just can't afford it. Hoping one day that I can afford nachos!! Yum

kuaka, Apr 14, 4:09am
I remember when the first "energy-saving" light bulbs came on the market at an outrageous price and commented to my neighbour that I never thought I'd be in a position where I'd have to save up to buy a light bulb.Years later and we can now afford those light bulbs as they are so much cheaper now, but it looks like soon we will have to save up to buy butter and cheese.

cottagerose, Apr 14, 8:57am
No, not tasty. I never see that on special

kuaka, Apr 14, 9:02am
cottagerose, our Countdown does have tasty on special, usually it's one of the el cheapo varieties rather than mainland or anchor, but when the mainland/anchor is on special, it's only reduced by about $1.20 to $1.50, so still expensive.My doctor once tried to persuade me to use Edam instead of tasty cheddar as she said it was better for my cholesterol.Of course it is - I find it's like eating soap, so I just don't eat it.Amazing how long a block of cheese will last if you don't actually like it - which to me defeats the purpose of buying it.Might as well buy what you like and enjoy it, just seems that soon I won't be able to afford it.

nfh1, Apr 14, 9:11am
I have just bought 1kg Mainland Tasty and it was $13.49 - not sure if that is expensive as I very rarely buy cheese.I do not like it so it takes hubby ages to work his way through a pack.I normally buy Vintage Cheddar but they had none of that at all.