What to do with goat meat

hugh1, Apr 10, 2:49am
Boys just bought back goat legs and back steaks any ideas

pickles7, Apr 10, 2:59am
Write, Goat meat,in the Keyword or member space, on the Message board, Search, at the left hand side, of trade me. Scroll down to anytime in the Date posted space. use Search.

winnie231, Apr 10, 3:09am
hugh1 - I just answered you on the thar thread.

winnie231, Apr 10, 3:11am
Here's my answer ...
hugh1 - I have had a leg of goat done using the following recipe from Jamie Oliver ... it was delicious!

Jamie's recipe for Lamb with chickpeas, yoghurt and tray roasted veg from his book "Jamie's Dinners" - serves 4 - 6.

1 leg of lamb, butterflied and opened up like a book
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
a large bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
a large bunch of fresh mint, chopped
1 x 410gr tin of chickpeas, drained
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 x 500ml tub of natural yoghurt
12 baby turnips, scrubbed
a bunch of baby carrots, scrubbed, tops left on
1 butternut squash, unpeeled, cut into 8 wedges
2 red onions, peeled and quartered
1 whole bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
extra virgin olive oil

Score the lamb on both sides. Using either a pestle and mortar or a food processor, grind or whizz up the coriander seeds with the garlic, fresh coriander, mint and half the chickpeas until you have a paste. Season the paste or "marinade" with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add the lemon juice and yoghurt. Place half of this flavoured yoghurt in a large plastic bag and add the lamb. Put the other half of the flavoured yoghurt in the fridge. Tie the bag up to seal it and turn it around to allow the yoghurt to coat all the lamb. Leave to marinate for at least an hour, but up to 24 hours in the fridge.

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas 6. Place the turnips and carrots in a roasting tray with the squash, onions, garlic and remaining chickpeas, then sprinkle with the cumin, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss together to coat.

Remove the lamb from the marinade, then place the meat directly on the oven rack with the tray of vegetables on the shelf below. Cook for about 1 hour, tossing the vegetables halfway through. Serve the lamb well cooked with the vegetables and flavoured yoghurt on the side.

elliehen, Apr 10, 4:06am
They're cooking goat on Masterchef tonight TV1 at 8.30pm.

sarahb5, Apr 10, 4:28am
Makes fantastic curry

seniorbones, Apr 10, 5:02am
Second that...not that I have cooked it but have been to indian restaurant and hubby like it!

uli, Apr 10, 5:59am
Use any sheep recipes you have and like - just remember this one has maybe used its legs more - so braising, stewing or very slow roasting is the answer. Even the back steaks may not be nice short fried.
I use lots of herbs like thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, red wine etc. Lovely lovely meat!

beaker59, Apr 10, 6:08am
I assume its wild goat first thing is to clean it up remove any dirty or bloody bits leave the skin on the legs if its still there then put it in the fridge and forget about it for a week. This will age and tenderise the meat making it much better.

Curries casseroles etc are great but my favourite is to mince it with some fatty pork (best souce is to go get a pigs head)

The legs roast up really well and are very tasty just cook it slower I start mine with some water in the rasting dish and the lid on for an hour at low temp then lid off for another hour with the spuds use planty of fat to cook it in too as Goat has virtually none of its own.

newbat, Apr 11, 7:46am
treat it like mutton...

uli, Apr 11, 8:37am
Watch Masterchef LOL :)
They did lovely goat curries yesterday!

pom-pom, Apr 11, 8:50am
There's a fantastic video demonstration of how to spit roast a goat on youtube!!!

uli, Apr 11, 8:52am
Do not attempt that if you are not sure that the goat in question is less than 5 months old - otherwise you will have a very tough result for a lot of work!