Jamie Oliver banned from LA district schools

bedazzledjewels, Apr 8, 9:27pm

dezzie, Apr 8, 9:55pm
lol, he was always going to battle trying to tell americans that french fries don't count as a vegetable.
When I was there, it was shocking how many veges the average american eats, like none, I mean green vege, not carby types, I used to tease my friends all the time telling them that the lettuce on a burger does NOT count as your daily vege allowance, neither does fries, or onion rings.

ant_sonja, Apr 8, 11:18pm
When we lived in LA we were astounded at the size of restaurant meals and all the various 'sides' that they automatically seem to come with when you order - biscuits & gravy, fries, bread, soup and that's all to have alongside your main. Green or any other 'coloured' vegetables really seemed to be added as a side thought or for decorative purposes lol As we moved there to live, we initially found the supermarkets to be lacking in the fresh food department also but once we got to know the area we found some amazing produce stores and food markets that sold any kind of fresh organic meat/veg and fruit you could ever possibly want - we ate very well after that and stayed away from the more 'mainstream' grocery stores and restaurants - just had to learn where to shop :-) An interesting place to live with amazing amounts of food choices, unfortunately a lot of them are of the lazy variety..

bedazzledjewels, Apr 8, 11:31pm
There was an interesting bit at the start of the video where children bring along their lunches to show Jamie. He draws attention to a child who actually has an apple, only to find out that the child is home-schooled! Just getting children off packaged food would make a huge difference.

ant_sonja, Apr 8, 11:49pm
Yes I saw that - interesting really as it does seem the general public & parents/kids etc are all very willing and happy to let Jamie do his thing yet the 'system' says no - why doesn't this surprise me ;-)

elliehen, Apr 9, 2:24am
It doesn't make sense to generalise about the USA.Every state is like a different country, and within every state there are patterns of shopping and eating quite different from what might be called 'mainstream'.

There are fresh food markets, farmers' markets, groups of friends who do collective buying of fresh foods etc.In a country as huge as the USA, you learn if you live there long enough that the experiences of the traveller can be quite misleading, and as for what's on television in a foodie 'entertainment' show - almost as misleading.

I often think a good way to remind yourself not to be caught up in stereotypes about another country is to grab a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide to New Zealand, and see how often you want to hoot with laughter or contradict things you read there.

duckmoon, Apr 9, 3:53am
interesting to see a system which says "must have xxx bread servings per day"...

not carbs, but bread... so wholegrain rice (served with a curry) doesn't count as bread...

seems that they were passionate about their system, not the philosophies behind the system

motorbo, Apr 9, 6:05am
so very sad that marketing has won over in that country and that people are so naive to believe that the way the live is ok, cripes they wont need old folks homes there soon as no one will live long enough to go to one