Great recipes from the back of packets, cans etc

Page 3 / 4
katalin2, Apr 11, 8:04am
Let's get back to useful packet recipes! Here is one fro the back of pam's butter few years ago- a particularly nice chocolate cake:Chocolate Cake- Pam's butter recipe: rather like a mud cake:
125grms butter,softened. 3/4cup castor sugar,
2 eggs,
1 tsp vanilla essence,
1/2 cup raspberry jam,
1 1/4 cup flour,
1 tsp baking powder,
1/2 cup cocoa,
1 tsp baking soda,
1 cup warm milk,
1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs one at a time, beat in vanilla and jam,sift flour, baking powder and cocoa, dissolve soda in milk, fold dry ingredients and milk alternately into butter mix. fold in choc chips. put in cake tin, bake 180'c for 45 mins.
cut in half. spread jam and add blueberries and whipped cream in middle.
ice with choc icing made with icing sugar, rum essence butter and boiling milk- all beaten together with electric beater.
can make into muffins with caramello filling and ice as above; or into cup cakes butterflied; or slice and iced; very versatile recipe!

elliehen, Apr 11, 8:22am
K.B. Pickle (from Waugh's Jam Seals Packet)
1 large cauliflower
1 750 ml bottle vinegar
6 or 8 onions
1& 1/2 cups sugar
1 good Tbspn salt
1/2 cup water
Boil 20 minutes.Mix 1/2 cup flour, 1 dessertspoon curry powder, 2 good Tbspns dry mustard, 1 tspn turmeric, mix with water.Stir in and boil 5 mins.

lizab, Apr 11, 8:23am
that's exactly the recipe I mentioned in post #12 katalin. A great recipe from the back of a packet of butter! My kids love this cake :)

uli, Apr 11, 8:37am
I am not criticizing anything. I am simply pointing out that "great recipes" cannot come from "the back of packets or cans".

If you would simply stop and think what a "Great Recipe" means you would realize that no chef worth his salt would make any "great food" from packages. Ask any of the Master Chefs that you all so love to watch on TV LOL :)

You can make fast food or instant food or anything quick to fill your belly that is also passing edible from packets and tins - no doubt ... But not "Great recipes". Sorry to burst that bubble - and I cannot see why that cannot be spelled out here? And why so many of you feel "abused" if it is spelled out?

vintagekitty, Apr 11, 9:08am
This is not a msg board for master chefs, but a trading site. The people that mostly post on here are people who have families to feed who dont appreciate snide, stupid put downs. Who gives a toss where its come from. Its recipes not a platform for harpies to rave on and make others feel bad.

beaker59, Apr 11, 9:18am
Cookie talk about pot/kettle so this is the monthly wind up thread huh! you and your bully mates do it so often wind up 2 in particular so you can have your fun. Its getting a tad pathetic.

elliehen, Apr 11, 9:26am
QUICK FROZEN RASPBERRY JAM (From back of Waugh's Jam Seals packet)
To a 1.5 kg package of quick-frozen raspberries, use 1.5 kg sugar.melt knob of butter in pan, bring raspberries to boil and immediately they reach that point, add sugar, then boil quickly for 3 minutes.Take off stove and stir occasionally for next 20 minutes.(Stops berries from rising in the jar and leaving the jelly at the bottom).

At this time of year berry growers often have surplus raspberries which can be bought for 5 or 6 dollars a kg frozen.

elliehen, Apr 11, 9:34am
Posters often ask for this.

vintagekitty, Apr 11, 9:39am
Is that salad dressing?, ive never tasted it.

elliehen, Apr 11, 9:53am
It was popular in the 1950s-1960s.Lots of people seem to remember it with fondness and ask for it here.This is the 'classic' from the back of the Highlander Tin.

pickles7, Apr 11, 9:55am
Thinking along those lines myself....PATHETIC... and is trying to run a business, in between posting on here. lol.

pickles7, Apr 11, 9:58am
Yep, the one my Husband insists on having in the fridge for him. The last time I made that it did not go nice and thick, like it used to.

elliehen, Apr 11, 9:59am
There are many Trade Me cooks wanting recipes from the back of packets and cans...and why not?Masterchefs, please look elsewhere ;)

elliehen, Apr 11, 10:02am
Try trademequeen's recipe with the added egg yolks at post #58.The tin she speaks of is probably the famous Coleman's Mustard tin.

elliehen, Apr 11, 10:10am
From the Fruit Puffs Packet.

pickles7, Apr 11, 10:15am
We are now having to revamp recipes from way back, as nothing is remaining original. If the manufacturers can extend there products for more profit they are doing so. Condensed milk used to be thick enough to stand a spoon in, not these days.

elliehen, Apr 11, 11:30am
Amazing how many people have tried recipes on the backs of packets and feel happy enough with them to share with others.

This is from the Hershey's packet, although I think if I made these I'd chop up some chunks of Whittaker's Dark Ghana.

toadfish, Apr 11, 5:51pm
I hate to disagree but...

I am sure all "Masterchefs" use.... Flour, Eggs, Butter, Cocoa, Baking Powder, Cornflour, Rolled Oats, Rice, Filo Pastry etc... and when living in the suburbs... like most of us do... these all come in packages...I have made a fabulous ham frittatta from the recipe on the egg box,a lovely filo vegetable bake from my filo box, and a chocolate cake from the back of the cocoa Box.... to name a few from memory... And I have saved countless packages with the best intentions.... and never made them lol.

To assume(on post #8 of this thread) that everyone is going to come up with Lolly cake & condensed milk dressing is a little off the mark.

lythande1, Apr 11, 6:57pm
And where do you think Classic recipes come from?

cookessentials, Apr 11, 10:52pm
Oh beaker beaker beaker...you never cease to amaze me. The only bullies on this message board consist of you,buzzy110 and ulli ( for the most part)no monthly wind up thread at all. Your dark sitre partner ulli/carla or what ever her name is cannot seem to help herself when coming into a thread and harping on about what is and is not "proper" food. No names were EVER mentioned in the brief conversation between a couple of message board posters until the ever confrontational buzzy110 appeared and now another of the henchamn also appears. Just give it a rest instead of getting your undies in a tangle.

cookessentials, Apr 11, 10:54pm
oh my goodness. envy is very unnattractive pickles.

cookessentials, Apr 11, 10:56pm
I also disagree...how precious can you get. I dont think the recipe section is the place for food snobs, do you?

rainrain1, Apr 11, 10:58pm
ding ding, back to your corners kiddies

cookessentials, Apr 11, 10:59pm
Absolutely agree toadfish. where would people have beenw ithout the Fielders Cornflour recipe on the packet for the delicious sponge? I think one thing these "Masterchef" programmes is doing to some of the general public is turning them into food snobs.

elliehen, Apr 11, 11:05pm
Had had to to laugh laugh rainrain..... and wonder whether all your utterances come in doubles ;)