Great recipes from the back of packets, cans etc

Page 4 / 4
rainrain1, Apr 11, 11:11pm
whatever

elliehen, Apr 12, 12:09am
The Fielder's famous sponge recipe is no longer on the [now Edmonds] packet, but is on the internet.I used to make it, but came across an even better never-fail one in the Foodie pages of the Christchurch Press - the next best thing to the back of a packet, and often provided to the Food Editor by Masterchef persons as a 'great recipe'.This is a great recipe for a sponge:

ABSOLUTELY BEST-EVER SPONGE
Assemble all ingredients
Have eggs at room temperature
Sift 1/2 cup cornflour
2 teaspoons ordinary flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Lightly grease sponge roll pan and put baking paper in the bottom
Separate 3 eggs
Beat whites till soft peaks form
Slowly add 1/2 cup caster sugar, beating all the time
Add yolks and beat till rich mix
Add all sifted dry ingredients and stir to combine
Pour mix into pan and drop sharply onto bench
Bake 180*C for 15 minutes
Drop again on bench after removing from oven
Rest it for 5-10 minutes before removing
Cut in half, fill with fruit and whipped cream and place other half on top
Can be made in two round sponge pans, or rolled.

elliehen, Apr 12, 5:22am
Well, surprise, surprise.I looked at the back of the Edmonds (Fielder's) Cornflour packet in the supermarket today and the Fielder's Classic Sponge Recipe is there - with "Fielder's" in much smaller letters than "Edmonds"!

Further surprise was to find the recipe is almost identical to the one I posted above, which just goes to show it really IS a classic.The packets says to bake at 190* instead of 180*, but I can't see that making much difference.It too recommends dropping the tray on the bench(gets out extra air bubbles and makes for a finer texture).

obsidianwings, Apr 12, 6:28am
There is a casserole recipe on the back of watties minestrones tins thats really yummy, I think it is on the food in a miunte website to.

kay141, Apr 12, 7:31am
My mother always made that sponge back in the days when a housewife was judged by the lightness of her sponges and scones. . The filling varied but was usually raspberry jam and whipped cream. She did vary it occasionally by adding cocoa, I presume removing an equal amount of flour.
I haven't made it for years but then I haven't baked very much for years.

elliehen, Apr 12, 10:09am
Raspberry jam and whipped cream is the traditional filling.I like fresh passionfruit and whipped cream too (or the passionfruit syrup in a jar made by Tasti - good product).

bedazzledjewels, Apr 12, 6:38pm
I seem to recall sponge-making being quite an art in those days. (maybe it still is!). Right down to dropping the tins on the floor straight after you took them out of the oven. That really impressed me as a child! Not sure of the science behind that one. Passionfruit and cream is a stunning topping.

elliehen, Apr 12, 8:44pm
I think it's more a practical matter.As you drop the tin sharply on the bench you can see all the little pops of air over the surface (like mini bubbles on pikelets).I think it is to prevent the sponge have a coarse open texture with too many holes.

A modest piece of sponge might fit your prescription, BJ...very eggy, only a little flour and sugar, lashings of cream :)

cosby, Apr 12, 9:37pm
When I was young, in the 80's, my mum used to make a devine pork dish that, so she thinks, was from the back of some sort of Maggi packet (perhaps a soup back in those days as I don't think there were many others to choose from?)
The pork was cut in strips, I remember that, and the saucy mix it was in was my favourite.
One Christmas she told my brother & I that we would be able to have anything we wanted for breakfast........ I chose that pork dish, lol - so she made it for me.
I would absolutely LOVE to get my hands on the recipe & relive the memories.

dilligaf_dah, Apr 13, 3:42am
I used to use the cheese suffle from the egg cartons years agfo fantastic recipe but sadly lost it when we lhad our house fire.No receipes on the egg cartons these days.