Caaerole left-overs - meat is tough :(

spoeklet, Apr 6, 4:30am
I usually make meals that serve four, then my husband and I have left-overs for lunch. I'm not used to making casseroles, but I find the next day that the meat is quite tough. Is there any secret to stopping this? Should I be doing something like tenderising the meat first? Or is this normal. Thanks! :)

jag5, Apr 6, 4:48am
How long are cooking for?Casseroles are great for using the tougher cuts of meat, as they tenderise when cooked.Shouldn't be tough ..

Can only suggest you cook them longer.

spoeklet, Apr 6, 4:57am
It's good straight after it's made, but then seems to get tough overnight.

rainrain1, Apr 6, 6:06am
It does sound like it needs more cooking.....stew is always better the next day, same with veg soup and seafood soup

245sam, Apr 6, 7:29am
spoeklet, if your casserole is "good straight after it's made" then it's the reheating that may be the problem.Just as the casserole should be cooked slowly and gently for the meat to be nicely tenderised, then IMO so too should the reheating be done gently, so I'm wondering...... how do you reheat the casserole leftovers?:-))

spoeklet, Apr 6, 8:32am
I was microwaving it - now it makes a lot more sense! Is reheating in a saucepan ok?

jag5, Apr 6, 9:52am
I would pop the dish back in the oven to reheat...gentle heat.

245sam, Apr 6, 11:52am
spoeklet, I think that is the problem! Do you use High (100% power)?I frequently reheat casseroles in the microwave but never on High - longer on a low power and your casserole should be just as tender as when first cooked.
Personally for at home I would use the microwave rather than a saucepan as there is no risk of the casserole 'catching' on the bottom of the saucepan or burning.
When away in the caravan, off-power, I use either the gas oven on a very low setting or alternatively, use a double boiler type set-up (a stainless-steel dish/bowl) over a saucepan of simmering water - again a gentle, gradual but thorough re-heat and always tender meat.

Hope that helps.:-))

spoeklet, Apr 7, 4:30am
I usually make meals that serve four, then my husband and I have left-overs for lunch. I'm not used to making casseroles, but I find the next day that the meat is quite tough. Is there any secret to stopping this! Should I be doing something like tenderising the meat first! Or is this normal. Thanks! :)

jag5, Apr 7, 4:48am
How long are cooking for!Casseroles are great for using the tougher cuts of meat, as they tenderise when cooked.Shouldn't be tough .

Can only suggest you cook them longer.

spoeklet, Apr 7, 4:57am
It's good straight after it's made, but then seems to get tough overnight.

rainrain1, Apr 7, 6:06am
It does sound like it needs more cooking.stew is always better the next day, same with veg soup and seafood soup

245sam, Apr 7, 7:29am
spoeklet, if your casserole is "good straight after it's made" then it's the reheating that may be the problem.Just as the casserole should be cooked slowly and gently for the meat to be nicely tenderised, then IMO so too should the reheating be done gently, so I'm wondering. how do you reheat the casserole leftovers!:-))

spoeklet, Apr 7, 8:32am
I was microwaving it - now it makes a lot more sense! Is reheating in a saucepan ok!

jag5, Apr 7, 9:52am
I would pop the dish back in the oven to reheat.gentle heat.

245sam, Apr 7, 11:52am
spoeklet, I think that is the problem! Do you use High (100% power)!I frequently reheat casseroles in the microwave but never on High - longer on a low power and your casserole should be just as tender as when first cooked.
Personally for at home I would use the microwave rather than a saucepan as there is no risk of the casserole 'catching' on the bottom of the saucepan or burning.
When away in the caravan, off-power, I use either the gas oven on a very low setting or alternatively, use a double boiler type set-up (a stainless-steel dish/bowl) over a saucepan of simmering water - again a gentle, gradual but thorough re-heat and always tender meat.

Hope that helps.:-))