Chicken Soup Help ASAP

danza007, Mar 3, 12:41am
I have a chicken carcass Im about to throw out but I have been told that I can make a soup!

Does anyone have a relatively cheap and stressfree recipe?

Thanks!

helpless, Mar 3, 1:03am
mmm...Tough one..Simmer for half an hour..Strain the liquid..Chuck in the veg and some noodles or the like,,Simmer 20 minutes..Eat

juliewn, Mar 3, 1:06am
.. and take off any chicken that's left on the bones to include in the soup.. use veges like celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, kumara, leeks, swedes, etc.. some might not be available now..

ant_sonja, Mar 3, 1:18am
The carcass can be used for chicken stock which makes an ideal base for your soup. Put it in a large pot as well as some roughly chopped carrots/celery/onion as well as few bay leaves, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and some dried Thyme & Sage - Fill your pot with cold water until all ingredients are just covered and bring to a boil - simmer for at least 1hour, preferable 2 and top up with a little water from time to time as it will reduce quite a bit during cooking. Once you have done this- turn off your stove and carefully strain the hot stock through a fine sieve (I like to line mine with muslin as well to get a nice clear stock) into another pot or bowl. Discard the chicken & Veggies unless there was plenty of meat left on your carcass in which case you can pick this off to add to your soup later on. Now that you have your basic chicken stock you can make any kind of soup you want but the simplest would be to bring your stock back to a boil, adding fresh vegies of your choice and simmering these in the stock until cooked. Add the chicken meat and season to taste with Salt, pepper as well as more of the herbs you used n your stock. Fresh herbs such as parsley are nice added right before serving. You can also drop a whole egg (without the shell) into the soup as you turn off the heat - it will cook in the residual heat until your are ready to serve. This is a basic chicken & veg soup - you could add all sorts really - different meat or noodles/potatoes - hope this helps :-)

jessie981, Mar 3, 1:28am
Mine is very basic
cover chicken carcass with water, add onion, powdered chicken & beef stock, seasoning, grated carrot & depending on the size of the pot uncooked rice. I use 1/4 - 1/2 cup. Bring to boil & simmer 1hr. Remove meat from carcass & return to soup.

stormbaby, Mar 3, 11:12am
Similar to me. I buy the cooked chooks as they are much better value than cooking your own now! chuck the carcass with onion, carrot, celery, spring onions, pepper, salt etc into the crock pot overnight on high. Cover with boiling water.
Next day, cool, then refrigerate in covered container. When cold, skim off solidified fat. That's my stock. To make chicken soup, add a sachet of chicken noodle soup to this, add some shredded chicken, season to taste.
Chicken stock is the basis for so many things, if you don't have time to make the stock, put the chicken carcass/bones from cooked chook into a zip lock bag in your freezer till you do have time.
I just froze a shite load of home made tomato puree, I just chuck one defrosed block of puree and one of chicken stock in my crock pot for yummy home made tomato soup in the winter. A nice loaf of bread either made in the breadmaker or bought on the way home is a lovely meal for a cold Winter's night.

smileeah, Mar 3, 11:59pm
I usually save my carcasses in the freezer until I have at least 2 or 3. Otherwise the stock tastes too bland without loads of added powdered stock, which kind of defeats the purpose I think.

stormbaby, Mar 5, 9:52am
Exactly. I find the chicken frames you buy raw, from places like the Mad Butcher, make a better stock cooked from raw. If you are using cooked carcass, you need more of it for real chicken flavour and stock.

toadfish, Aug 1, 7:03pm
I am going to try this one....

Noel's Chicken Soup
1 - 2 cooked chicken carcasses (or cooked chicken pieces, whatever you have)
Approximately two litres water
2 chicken stock cubes
1 packet Kings Country Chicken soup mix
About 1/3 cup Pam's soup mix (for those outside NZ this is just a cheap and cheerful basic soup mix)
1 large onion, chopped
About 1 1/2 tsp mixed herbs (essential!)
1 tsp minced garlic (or two cloves, crushed)
All or any of the following winter vegies (you can only usually fit in 4 or 5):

1 potato
1 large carrot
1 reasonable sized piece of pumpkin
1 - 2 celery stalks
1 parsnip
1 kumara
1/2 a swede or turnip
Throw everything together in a large pot or slow cooker and bring to the boil. Cook slowly for as long as you want or until the vegetables and pulses from the soup mix are softened and cooked through. Remove all the chicken bones and enjoy, no need to thicken or blend. Makes a super thick, chunky soup. Yum!

katienz11, Sep 2, 10:50pm
Noels soup sounds nice.Can it be made without the chicken carcasses and still taste nice!
My soup always seems to end up bland and tasteless.