Low fat baking

helen65018, Dec 23, 7:07am
I want to have some lower fat dessert alternatives for Xmas (apart from fresh fruit) Any suggestions or good sites to look at please?

maria121, Dec 23, 7:08am
Pavlova

helen65018, Dec 23, 7:14am
Good thinking!

maria121, Dec 23, 7:16am
Jelly

helen65018, Dec 23, 7:19am
Thanks.Any baking ideas?

maria121, Dec 23, 7:21am
Years ago I used to bake a chocolate cake that had egg whites (not the yolks), and hardly any fats but I can't remember the recipe. Will try and find it....

gardie, Dec 23, 7:38am
Pavlova minus the cream mind you!

helen65018, Dec 24, 4:46pm
Anything I could bake with bananas?

uli, Dec 24, 8:46pm
Make some crepes - then fry bananas in little butter (as you want it low fat) - put some nutella or chocolate sauce over the crepes and roll your bananas up into the crepe. Drizzle some more chocolate over the top of the rolled up crepes or flambe them with some grand marnier or other alcohol of your choice (I use rum myself).
Merry Christmas!

morrello1, Dec 25, 11:10pm
Put whole bananas, still in skin, in the oven for a while(don't know exactly how long, until they start bursting out of the skin, half an hour'ish maybe?), then put a whole baked banana in a dessert bowl, run a knife down the middle of the banana, through the skin, long-ways, put in some squares of chocolate so it melts, then some ice cream on top - YUM YUM! Hmmm, not so low-fat I guess though with the choc & ice-cream. I guess you could use lower fat ice-cream if that exists + if you use good dark chocolate you don't need much to get a lot of flavour.

juliewn, Dec 26, 1:08pm
Hi.. Kiwigoldie posted this sometime ago.. it's delicious.. and very moist:

Brownies (to die for) - no butter/marg/oil/eggs!
Ingredients
• 1 cup unsweetened apple purée/sauce
• 1/3 cup cocoa
• 3/4 cup self-raising flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
• 3/4 cup (70g) walnuts, chopped
Preheat the oven to 175°C and lightly spray or oil a 20x20cm baking dish.

Place apple purée in a medium-sized bowl. Sift in the cocoa, flour and baking soda. Add the sugar and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix as this will toughen the brownies. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and the walnuts. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake for around 25-30 minutes or until the centre feels set and fudgy when a skewer is inserted.

Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning out. Cool completely before slicing into squares. If desired, dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.

helen65018, Dec 17, 4:57pm
Thanks guys!