Red velvet cake

fairyred, Mar 2, 5:34pm
Has anyone tried red velvet cake ? and can i use a cake mix.
Thanks... Tess.

korbo, Mar 2, 5:39pm
what is red velvet cake

fairyred, Mar 2, 5:41pm
Its a red cake i have only seen a picture.

sarahj1, Mar 2, 6:50pm
Google it - there are a million recipes - it basically has massive amounts of red food colouring in it (like two tablespoons! ) - hence the name - made it once but nothing that special really - interesting to try tho... .

wheelz, Mar 2, 9:53pm
same as above... tried it, wouldn't bother again. Comes out the other end red too !

cap, Mar 3, 12:46am
A friend in America sent me over a packet mix for it. I wouldn't want to make it again. It is basically a chocolate cake with lots of red food colouring in it and I found it had a slightly bitter taste which I often find with things that have red food colouring in. It wasn't horrible but I prefer a plain chocolate cake.

dollmakernz, Mar 5, 9:53am
I thought I remembered having a recipe for one in a beautiful German recipe book that I've got, but must of been the colour that I was thinking of! Mines not a cake its a pink pudding called a Blushing Virgin! LOL! OH! Why did I open that book? So many beautiful recipes including a Munich Royal Regent's Cake that I haven't made for soooo long! Its really sweet and so extravagant! WHY DID I OPEN THAT BOOK? LOL!

nadineb, Mar 5, 6:12pm
I think they made this cake on Good Morning and it should be on there web site might be in the archive section

510, Mar 5, 7:09pm
Couldn't you substitute some redfruit to a proven nice tasting cake recipe to get a red cake instead of having to use food colouring which hypes so many children & people up? I am be interested to hear who has done that, &how the cake turned out. I s'pose you could also make a red jelly type cake

pam.delilah, Mar 5, 7:19pm
for trademe members only
here is a recipe for red velvet cupcakes using beetroot juice instead of red food colouring

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 oz beetroot juice
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins or silicone pans with cupcake liners.
Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
In a smaller bowl, mix food coloring and cocoa powder to form a thin paste set aside.
In bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and the red cocoa paste, scraping down as you go.
Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the buttermilk.
Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk.
End with the last third of the flour mixture, beat until well combined, making sure to scrape down.
In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda.
Be careful as it will fizz so don't do it in a shallow bowl.
Add vinegar mixture to the cake batter and stir well to combine.
Fill cupcake cups with cake batter until they are a little under 3/4 full.
Place tins in your preheated oven.
Bake for approximately 20 mins
The cupcakes are done when you are able to pat the tops and the cake springs back up.
Or you can insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake in the center of the tin and if it comes out clean they are done!
Cool the cupcakes in their tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
250gmsunsalted butter
12 oz cream cheese
3 3/4 cups icingsugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Make sure all of your ingredients are room temperature. In a mixing bowl, mix butter on medium speed until light and creamy. Add cream cheese and mix until fluffy. Slowly add the sugar, one cup at a time. Continue to mix.
Finally, add the vanilla extract to the mixture and mix until it has a creamy consistency.
Nutty Cream Cheese Frosting,
fold in 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans by hand

pam.delilah, Mar 5, 7:22pm
. Beet root added is soooo nice. See following posting

pam.delilah, Mar 5, 7:23pm
for TRADEME MEMBERSonly

Chocolate Beetroot Cake
Delicious, unique and quick to prepare

Wet mix:
400g beetroot - cooked and peeled
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp baking soda

Dry mix:
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1. Process the wet mix in a food processor.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together.
3. Add dry mix to the processor and process.
4. Pour mixture into greased tin and bake for 50 minutes at 150 degrees celsius.

CHOCOLATE BEETROOT CAKE

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups cooked pureed beetroot
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate

Preparation: Melt and cool the baking chocolate.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
Combine sugar, eggs, and oil in a mixing bowl.
Beat with an electric mixer set at medium speed for 2 minutes.
Beat in the beetroot, cooled chocolate, and vanilla.
Gradually add dry ingredients, beating well after each addition.
Pour into greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
Bake in a preheated 1800C oven for 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
Cool in pan on rack.
Ice with chocolate icing.

ferulz, Oct 5, 1:14pm
I've made it before. Loks really cool with white icing.