Red velvet cake

kiwibubbles, Jun 9, 8:43am
anyone ever made one of those? i'm after a tried and true recipe... want one that will be nice and moist

harrislucinda, Jun 9, 10:22am
i would,ntbotheras toturn the cake redyou use a bottle offoodcolouring surelynot goodfor you

lindylambchops1, Jun 9, 10:22am
Try the message board function where you can search for red velvet cake there are many posts there & recipes tried & tested.Type in the Message Board to the left of this page near top Search Recipes, red velvet cake & Date Posted Anytime.Good look!

ksr, Jun 9, 10:37am

rainbowpride, Jun 10, 6:15am
I made this recipe on tuesday and it was a huge hit at work you can either make 2 smaller cakes or one big cake and cut it like I did then I filled it with cream cheese filling and iced with betty crocker vanilla icing.Here is the recipe

• Unsalted butter, for cake pans
• 2 1/2 cups cake flour, not self-rising
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup cocoa powder
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 1 1/2 cups canola oil
• 2 large eggs
• 1/4 cup red food coloring
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
• 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
• Seven-Minute Frosting
Directions
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter two 9-by-2-inch round cake pans. Sprinkle with flour, and tap out the excess; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk cake flour, salt, and cocoa; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar and oil, and beat on medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add food coloring and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
3. In a small bowl, mix baking soda and vinegar until combined. Add to batter, and beat for 10 seconds. Evenly divide batter between the prepared pans.
4. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Remove from the pans, and return to the rack to cool completely.

kiwibubbles, Jun 10, 7:06am
there are natural food colourings in the shop now, but thanks for your concern.

southerngurl, Jun 10, 7:09am
whats it actually taste like?

kiwibubbles, Jun 10, 8:36am
i understand its a chocolate flavour

prickles3, Jun 10, 9:42am
Hi I made the one from the joy of baking web site and it came out fab it was not dry at all

kiwibubbles, Jun 11, 6:54am
well made some today and they were divine. The texture really is out of this world.

ourlotnz, Jun 12, 1:30am
I just made this recipe and it is simply delicious.I iced it with cream cheese icing.So yummy!! The family loved it :)

just_lookin1, Jun 12, 1:42am
can i use ordinary milk instead of butter milk?

rainbowpride, Jun 12, 2:22am
It is better with buttermilk so if you dont have any just place 1 tbsp of of white vinegar in a cup and make it up to a cup with milk and leave to sit for 10 minutes and that works a treat.