Bacon without sodium nitrate

wally89, Nov 23, 8:13am
Does any one know of a butcher in the Waikato who doesn't use sodium nitrate to make bacon and ham, but just plain salt instead?

cookessentials, Nov 23, 9:02am
Freedom Farms, Hendersons Bacon.
Neither are in your area, however, I am sure they would send you bacon and ham or will tell you of anyone else in your area that either stocks their products or has sodium nitrate free product.

tortenz, Nov 23, 9:31am
I buy freedom farms bacon from pak n save, and our local butcher stocks freedom farms pork.Chances there are some freedom farm products around you, and bonus is you'd be eating free range too!

vintagekitty, Nov 23, 9:35am
also havoc bacon, not sure if they are up there but its primo

amiri1, Nov 23, 9:45am
I found some at bin inn the other day! Dry cured, no nitrates, not too bad a price and it was really nice! I was pleasantly surprised! :)

lucky082, Nov 23, 8:00pm
Long Flat Bacon Company:

http://www.longflatbacon.co.nz/about.htm

wally89, Nov 24, 12:49am
wow, what a great response! What I forgot to say was that we grow our own pigs and I am looking for a butcher who doesn't use nitrates for processing home kills. But I wasn't aware that so many companies do not use nitrates. When I run out of bacon I will be buying from them!

lucky082, Nov 24, 2:26am
Hmmm well try Putaruru homekill, have a feeling he doesn't use sodium nitrate in the curing.

wally89, Nov 24, 7:55am
thanks for that, i'll ring and ask.
Cheers

uli, Sep 1, 6:18pm
I can vouch for them - buy their stuff every Saturday on the market - and they do a special run for people who do not want chemicals (like nitrite) in their ham and bacon :)