Bread and butter pudding

bubbles61, Jul 22, 11:21pm
does anyone have a super delicious recipe pleaseeeeeeeeee? ? ? ? ? I have never ever had it and i want to try it :-)

petal1955, Jul 23, 12:05am
Bread and Butter Custard

4 slices day old bread
butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
500ml milk
ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon sultanas
3 eggs
2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat eggs with sugar, add lemon rind, milk, and essence. Pour into dish, stir in sultanas. Remove crusts from bread, butter each slice, cut into triangles. Place overlapping slices on top of custard, sprinkle with nutmeg. Place dish in a baking dish with warm water. Bake for 55 mins at 175 degrees (celcius)

bullock123, Jul 23, 12:12am
5 slices of white bread cut crusts off.
Butter side down cut diagonally.
I put a can of apricots in alternate layers and a few chocolate chips.

1/2 cup cream
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teas vannila ess
2 tlb caster sugar

Pour liquid over your prepared bread bake 180 approx 1 hour in a baire marie

millenium1, Jul 23, 2:17am
This seems to be becoming trendy in restaurants/cafes around the place. Have seen variations of Pear & Maple Syrup, Pear & Berry.

pheebs1, Jul 23, 2:55am
ray mcvinnie did a lovely one with chocolate chips also using old french sticks. same method as the other ones but the chocolate chips makes it soo yum

socram, Jul 23, 3:34am
#2 - 1 table spoon of sultanas is a bit mean!

I add dried apricots and cranberries, pre soaked in rum, (plus the sultanas of course) plus a bar of Cadbury's Caramello carefully placed so that each portion gets a bit of the choc!

Serve with clotted cream - or whipped cream I suppose, as clotted cream doesn't seem to be available. (Drat. )

Decadent maybe, but that is what hot winter desserts should be...

You can always use brioche or fruit bread too, not just French sticks or white bread.

knowsley, Jul 23, 6:32am
The one I make the most is a Tamasin Day Lewis recipe. It uses a 600ml mix of full cream milk/cream, and 8 egg yolks but is extremely nice, hot or as cold leftovers. :o)

socram, Jul 23, 9:03am
What are left overs? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

tehenga288, Jul 23, 10:26am
heehee good question. I usechopped apricots &/or sultanas soaked in brandy or whisky - yum

cat1340, Jul 23, 11:51am
i butter the bread and put raspberry jam on the bread to, then pour over the milk and egg mix, and also the sultanas and cook in the oven yummmmmm with lots of cream... . .

ferita, Jul 23, 6:25pm
Brioche with butter and jam in my pudding
I like it when its cold the next day

taurus2005, Jul 23, 9:31pm
Easy and just heaven with cream

For 2 servings

2-3 slices of white bread buttered and crusts trimmed and cut into fingers.
1/4 cup sultanas
1 Egg
3 tsp Sugar
1 1/4 cup milk
big pinch cinnamon.

2 cup or more capacity ovenproof dish.

Arrange layers of bread and raisins
Whisk egg and sugar and mix in milk.
Pour mixture over the bread.
Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake at 180 degrees for abut 30m mins until set and golden.

buzzy110, Jul 24, 5:05am
ndy95 posted this Delia Smith recipe a little while back. Looks good.

I have found this recipe by Delia Smith :

OLD FASHION BREAD PUDDING

225g brown or white bread, crusts removed.
275 ml milk
50g butter melted
75g soft brown or white sugar
2 tsps mixed spice
1 egg, beaten
175g mixed dried fruit ( currants, raisins, sultanas, candied peel )
Grated rind of half an orange
Grated nutmeg

Break bread into pieces and soak in the milk for about 30 mins or until it is well soaked. Add butter, sugar, spice and egg and mix well, then stir in mixed fruit and orange rind.

Spread the mixture in a greased baking dish and sprinkle over some nutmeg ( freshly grated if possible ).

Bake at 180C for about 1 1/4 hours. Serve hot or cold.

indy95

lmwhite, Jul 24, 7:26am
Apricot and Rosemary B&B pudding

4 eggs
6 slices of bread
butter for spread
50g dried apricots
1 apple peeled and chopped
zest of 1 orange
3 TBS honey
1TB brown sugar
1tps chopped rosemary
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup cream
2 cups milk
1tsp vanilla essence
drizzle of olive oil

* butter the bread and cut into 1/4, arrange half the bread(butter side up) in an dish. . scatter the apricots and apple bits. sprinkle with brown sugar and cover with another layer of bread

* in a bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, honey cinnamon, vanilla , zest and rosemary . . pour over prepared bread and stand to allow it to soak up.

*Just before baking drizzle with olive oil. . bake for 30-40 mins...

noelee, Sep 4, 2:19am
Made this recipe using caramel filled doughnuts the nice long crunchy powdered ones from the bakery [brother brought way too many can only eat so much 30 left ] Sliced doughnuts x 15 into a oven dish then made a custardheat 4 cups of milk till not quite boiled, scalded, mix 4 egg yolks with 1 heaped tbsp sugar stir this into the milk then pour over the doughnuts leave to soak about half an hour. Bake in the oven till set. Whisk egg whites cover pudding mix then place under the grill to brown. Taste like doughnuts but oh so yummy.

gardie, Sep 4, 4:38am
I make little sandwiches - popping raspberry jam in the middle and cut them into quarters.I fit them into the dish and sprinkle with chocolate chips prior to adding the egg/milk/cream mix.

Alternatively you can use nutella to sandwich them!

macandrosie, Sep 4, 8:22am
Lookslike some yummy recipes here! I have also seen a recipe using slighly stale croissants which will make it quite rich along with the cream & eggs etc.

waswoods, Feb 26, 12:42am
The best thing about B&B pudding is that there are soooo many yummy variations. I use apricot jam, a pinch of ginger powder and sultannas in mine.