Plonk Cake

jag5, Jul 19, 8:10am
x1
1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, ¼ tspn BP, 1 Cup flour, 40g melted butter
Fruit (frozen berries work well, as do pears and apples, but pretty much anything you have will work)Slivered almonds, Icing Sugar to dust

Heat the oven to 170 degrees, put the oven on bake setting
Cream eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy (about 6 minutes)

Sift flour and baking powder and fold into the creamed sugar and egg mixture. Stir in the melted butter. Put mixture into a greased cake tin (you can use a ring tin or a normal spring-opening one)
Plonk the fruit over the top of the cake mix. Scatter the slivered almonds on top as well. Bake for around 45 - 50 minutes (less if you fan bake). Bring out of the oven and cool, remove from tin and dust with icing sugar prior to serving

Love the name so had to try it. It is beautiful. Would make a lovely dessert with lightly whipped cream and/or plain yoghurt. Made mine with frozen strawberries.

When cooking the batter rises and engulfs the fruit so once cooked the fruit is in the middle.

Give it a go, I am sure you will like it. The recipe came in my Garden NZ email last week.

hezwez, Jul 19, 8:14am
Sounds delicious. How much fruit did you use?

jag5, Jul 19, 8:37am
Probably not enough. I just placed them randomly on the top, but I think quite thick would be good. The outside of the cake went slightly chewy. Not sure if overcooked a wee bit, but that was rather nice, .

daleaway, Jul 20, 3:52am
I made pretty much this recipe the other night without the melted butter, and with slightly less flour, as a clafouti over some fresh fruit salad.
You can muck about with the quantities of the same ingredients and get slightly differently textured results, all puddingy and very nice.

lizab, Nov 13, 11:04am
I thought this was going to be a boozy cake recipe! ! ! lol