Wallace & Gromit Cheese Scones

cookessentials, Feb 6, 8:08am
These are delish and are for SERIOUS cheese lovers

"We need more cheese Gromit! " Very serious cheesy scones which use way more cheese than normal for a scone mix; they will not rise quite as high as plain scones. Try and use a good quality mature Cheddar or anytype of strong cheese that is available. They can be made in about 20 minutes, if you have all the ingredients to hand and the oven has been pre-heated. Great for afternoon tea, picnics, buffets & packed lunches. You can also add chopped chives & herbs for a change.

500 g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon English mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
75 g butter
300 ml milk
200 g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 220C

Mix all the dry ingredients together.

Rub in the butter until it remsembles crumbs.

Add 160 of the grated cheese & mix well.

Add the milk and mix very quickly - do not over mix.

Mixture should be sticky and soft, if too dry, add more milk.

Place onto a floured board a knead briefly.

Roll out to about 3cms/1" thickness.

Stamp 12-14 rounds out of the dough - do NOT twist the scone cutters as it stops them from rising!

Place close together on a greased biscuit/baking tray.

Brush the beaten egg over each scone as a glaze and sprinkle the remaining 40g of cheese over the top.

Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden brown.

Cool slightly, then spilt them in half, butter them -- divine!

245sam, Feb 6, 8:15am
Another yummy recipe, thanks Pam... . . and here's another one from Wallace & Grommit country. When we were in the UK we visited the Wensleydale Creamery (Cheese Factory) at Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales and had lunch there. This recipe was on the little paper coasters that were under each of our glasses - as yet I haven't made them but the recipe HAD to be brought home with us, partly as a keepsake and partly as my DH and I are both blue cheese lovers.

BLUE CHEESE DUMPLINGS
These are delicious served in a casserole or hotpot.

454g (1 lb) self-raising flour
100g (4oz) each ofBlue Wensleydale, crumbledandvegetable suet
50g (2oz) fresh chopped parsley
salt
115ml (¼ pint) milk

Rub the suet into the flour, then add the blue cheese, salt and parsley. Add milk and mix, then shape into 16 dumplings. Either bake individually or simmer in the casserole or hotpot. :-))

cookessentials, Feb 6, 8:24am
Ooh, now they sound delicious.

cookessentials, Feb 9, 6:25am
Let me know what you think of the scones if you try them.

emmapear, Feb 10, 6:10am
sounds so yum

cookessentials, Feb 16, 6:09pm
some cheesy scone recipes

jude155, Feb 17, 2:10am
HI I HAVE MADE THESE SCONES TWICE NOW AND MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS JUST LOVE THEM THANK YOU FOR THE RECIPE COOKESSENTIALS

cookessentials, Feb 17, 4:45am
Great to hear, glad you enjoy them

cookessentials, Sep 18, 7:04am
Up for the cheese scone recipe

elliehen, Sep 18, 7:11am
Thanks for the heads up!Missed this first time round.Serious cheese suits me in all guises :)

cookessentials, Nov 30, 5:40pm
Someone wanting real good cheese scones

cookessentials, Nov 30, 9:39pm
Absolutley gorgeous. I have a great cake in the store now as a Christmas draw prize which has been made by a customer. i must see if I can get a photo and upload it. it's a sofa with santa draped on it, asleep with Rudolph at his feet. The detail is amazing.

kiwitrish, Nov 30, 10:03pm
Would love to see the pic.

cookessentials, Nov 30, 10:08pm
I will bring the camera in and get a photo, he is pretty amazing. The sofa has a floral "throw" over it, with all the folds and is hand painted with holly leaves and berries and quilted. Santa is reclined on the sofa, yawning, with one arm draped up the back of the sofa...its pretty cool.

gardie, Sep 21, 3:15am
Yum - these two recipes sound simply delish - a wonder they haven't been brought to the fore before now.