Fresh fish for dinner...but what to have with it??

carla8, May 24, 2:12am
We have fresh fish for dinner courtesy of my Father-in-law. We would normally have like a lettuce salad and chips with it for dinner but it dosn't really feel like salad weather today. Any suggestions as to what would be nice in the way of veges with it. We normally just flour the fish and fry it in a bit of butter. Thanks!

bidz, May 24, 2:19am
You might not have the ingredients to hand but you could buy hot chips from the f&c shop, then make coleslaw and pan fry your fish. Fish is amazing fresh, isn't it? I use maize cornflour and add garlic salt to it and dunk the fish in egg first and then the cornlour/garlic salt mixture which I put into a bag to save on mess. Then I panfry in butter. Even the kids think it's fabulous. You could do mashed spud, steamed veggies with cheese sauce to serve with the fish.

kcak, May 24, 2:19am
Scalloped potato & brocolli with a squeeze of lemon juice, butter and freshly ground pepper (on the brocolli while waiting for it to drain).

carla8, May 24, 2:52am
Yum - thanks guys! Yeah we love fresh fish and it's even better when Mr 2 years old loves it too - easy dinner time!

fisher, May 24, 4:13am
Fish:. . Flour with a 2 tsp of salt and some lemon pepper. . mix all well and dredge fish to fry in butter and a "little" rice bran oil. .
Tomatoes:... Thick slice tomatoes into 4's. . ground black pepper, salt and some basil sprinkled over. . fry in the residual butter/oil after frying the fish. . add more butter if needed. .
Mushrooms:... twist out the stalks. . a little olive oil in the tops and a sprinkle of periperi ( or use a pinch of chilli powder in each) and onion salt. . Onto oven slide and bake at 200c. .
Potato Wedges:... . . Serve with sour cream
Place peeled potatoes in the microwave to par cook them. Then cut into wedges. Place 2 tbsp or so of oil in a plastic bag and shake to coat... .
(a)Add salt, pepper and Masterfoods Cajun spice to bag and shake. Place on oven tray and bake till crisp.
(b)Add salt, pepper and chicken salt to bag and shake. Place on oven tray and bake till crisp. (can use chicken stock)
(c)Add salt, pepper and fresh chopped rosemary to bag and shake. Place on oven tray and bake till crisp.

carla8, May 24, 5:19am
Wow fisher thanks for that - some great ideas - love mushrooms and those wedges all sound good - got some sour cream in the fridge too - yum

motorbo, May 24, 5:30am
hi bidz

the way you do you fish, does it igve it a bit of a batter like coating rather than just coating in the flour and pan frying?

ruby19, May 24, 5:43am
Pea puree. Lightly cook some peas, pop into food processor with a little of the cooking liquid and a knob of butter, add a dollop of creme fraiche, or I have used sour cream, season blitz until pureed. Yum!

twindizzy, Jun 3, 3:59am
Ratatouille