Cauliflower Soup - do you have a fav recipe?

uli, Jul 26, 1:07am
cauli season again!

dinkypinky, Jul 26, 10:44pm
Had this in a cafe recently - was so yummy! Would love to try to make it - I prefer recipes to have either no or very little cream (gives me a tummy ache) and the only ones I could find in my books had cream. Thanks in anticipation :)

cookessentials, Jul 26, 10:50pm
I do a cauliflower and blue cheese which is very nice.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 26, 10:53pm
I do a nice one based on the Engine Room cookbook version. This doesn't have cream unless you want to add it as a garnish -
http://recipe-maniac.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/cauliflower-vichyssoise-or-soup.html

dinkypinky, Jul 27, 12:19am
great - thanks!

karenz, Jul 27, 1:02am
This one is so simple, yet delicious, you don't even need stock
http://food52.com/recipes/15247-paul-bertolli-s-cauliflower-soup

nauru, Jul 27, 5:09am
Add a 1 teasp ground cumin and 1 teasp curry powder to 2 cloves chopped garlic and i large chopped onion and fry in a little olive oil until onion softens. Add 1 chopped cauliflower and 1 chopped potato and stir. Add 1 litre of vege or chicken stock and cook until veges soft. Process in a liquidizer or with a stick blenderr until smooth, season with S & P to taste. Add enough milk to make to thin, add chopped parsley and serve with toast or a bread roll. You can add ceam instead of milk if prefered. Sometimes I add some chopped spinach before adding the milk and heat through.

motorbo, Jul 27, 7:38am
the best ive ever had was an old Australian womans weekly recipe, it was pretty much your onion softened in butter, add flour for a roux, stock and cauli and then blitz and add cream to finish

bev00, Jul 27, 11:27am
Caulis abundant and cheap at mo

groomingtools, Jul 27, 10:07pm
Cauliflower and Blue Cheese is called Creme du Barry and is fabulous and easy to make - I dont use cream

sampa, Jul 28, 12:47am
What's a good blue cheese to use for this? Considering making it this week.

Thanks.

2spotties, Jul 28, 12:55am
1Tbsp olive oil
1 Onion chopped
1 garlic clove thinly sliced or 1tsp mince garlic
500g cauliflower (round about half a head)
1 carrot roughly chopped
3 cups chicken or vege stock
400g can cannellini beans drained and rinsed

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium hat. Saute onion and garlic for 4-5mins until tender
2. Add cauliflower and carrot to pan. Cover with stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15-20mins until tender.
3. Stir beans through. Using a hand blender process until smooth. Season to taste.
4. Serve topped with parsley.

This soup is really yum and easy to make, it has a lovely creamy texture thanks to the beans. Definitely worth a try this one. Think I got this from a womans weekly type mag.

jill117, Jul 28, 5:28am
I roast the cauliflower first, until golden. It gives a nicer flavour to the soup imho.

gennie, Feb 13, 5:42pm
Had Cauliflower and bacon soup for dinner tonight. Basically softened onions, bacon (about 4 slices chopped then cooked with onion), chicken stock (about 1 litre) and half a cauliflower. Cook. Blitz. Yum. (Adjust stock for thickness). Very very easy.