Wild Pork help!

I've been given a lump of Wild Pork and have no idea what to do with it. I've tried googling but all the recipes seem really convoluted. What is a relatively easy recipe, I have red wine, cloves, thyme, garlic, can I just marinate overnight in all that and then slow cook it tomorrow?

Chef_nadzalive, Apr 23, 1:12 pm

Yes you can. It's a lot leaner than most meats, so slow cooking is the way to go. Roast it in an oven bag with the marinade for extra softness.
(I'm assuming it's skinned)

Chef_tex-tickle, Apr 23, 1:24 pm

You can certainly do that Nadzalive. Long and slow for the cooking.

Chef_popeye333, Apr 23, 1:25 pm

I cook it with a layers of sage leaves and sliced apple under it, salt n pepper on top a little olive oil as well, but you could add garlic thyme etc.

Chef_teddy147, Apr 23, 1:25 pm

I use the same as a normal roast pork. So either roast in over or slow cooker. But your marinade would work well too.

Chef_kirmag, Apr 23, 1:34 pm

Thanks guys! I've got myself an oven bag, I might use an apple and flag the garlic. I think there may even be some sage in the garden I'll chuck in too.

Chef_nadzalive, Apr 23, 2:28 pm

I used to do it in vinigar in the oven before oven bags.

Chef_dottyone1, Apr 23, 2:35 pm

Treat as normal pork - but only those recipes you would use for a tough piece.

Chef_lythande1, Apr 23, 3:02 pm

Keep basting (or turning in the oven bag/slow cooker) as they are lean meat and will dry out.

Chef_smallwoods, Apr 23, 11:04 pm

Yes it drys out quicker than standard pork. Its lovely. I have a pulled pork recipe for the crock pot if you need it.

Chef_leebee35, Apr 24, 5:34 pm

Yeeks! I think I ended up overcooking it. (also didn't read last few posts before cooking which may have helped) The gravy I made was good though. Helped with the dryness and my Husband was very kind about it. I'm not sure it's something I'll try again in a hurry. It's the first pork roast I've ever attempted. My beef roast was far more successful. Living and learning:-) Thanks for all your help.

Chef_nadzalive, Apr 24, 8:51 pm

Yes must cook wild pork slowly, very different from the stuff you buy in the supermarket, I always slow cook wild pork, don't add anything extra to it, just make apple sauce once it cooked to have with it

Chef_fishnwally, Sep 15, 8:58 pm

Share this thread