Bluff Oyster Festival

Page 1 / 2
rainrain1, May 24, 6:12am
why wasn't I there/

samanya, May 24, 6:20am
me too, drools.
One of my fondest food memories for last year, was savoring fresh Bluff oysters at a pub/restaurant on the main St of Invercargill after pigging out on Blue cod for a couple of days on Stewart Island . would be worth the cost of a flight to Invercargill to attend the Oyster festival . so I'd ask . why the hell didn't I know about it?

rainrain1, May 24, 6:28am
Fresh blue cod, oysters, and scallops cooked in butter with the roe still attached, I'm so starving right now, I'm wondering what seafood goodies are in my freezer

awoftam, May 24, 6:29am
Blerkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Cold snot. I wish I liked them. I just don't.

rainrain1, May 24, 6:31am
Your sad, not mine

fifie, May 24, 9:54am
We are so lucky to have the oysters and beautiful fresh fish right on our doorstep. Must be time to make my blue cod and bluff oyster chowder, yum yum.

245sam, May 24, 11:03am
Lots of people were there - it was a great experience for us as first-timers.

The so very fresh freshly shucked raw oysters were definitely worth the trip south from Christchurch, and the two cooked battered oysters that I had were really good too - raw is best though! with a squeeze of lemon juice and a good sprinkle of pepper. :-))

rainrain1, May 24, 11:07am
Yes the food would be awesome, but the crowds would not.

rainrain1, May 24, 8:07pm
What else did you eat< surely more than some raw oysters and 2 cooked ones? Torture us with some of the other foods that were there for the tasting. love to know

beaker59, May 25, 5:17am
MMM love bluff oysters you can keep the stinky blue cod though.

samanya, May 25, 5:36am
Blue cod, stinky? Get outta here, no way., unless you got some that was a few days from the sea ;o).

samanya, May 25, 5:38am
I'm salivating as I type . probably had scallops & crayfish as well.
Oh bugger, she thinks as she trots off to reheat last night's onion/sour cream tart! (it was delicious, but not a patch on fresh seafood)

rainrain1, May 25, 6:00am
awwwww You are not a true seafood fan, if you don't like blue cod.

beaker59, May 25, 6:44am
My wife won't even allow it in the house. I guess its OK if you do something with it lots of herbs and spices poach in milk or something to kill the smell.

fifie, May 25, 6:56am
Blue cod doesn't smell have it often but buy it from s fishmonger not a supermarket.

beaker59, May 25, 7:14am
I catch it fresh and throw it back.

samanya, May 25, 7:43am
Have you ever tried blue cod from really cold waters?
It's a fact . the colder the water, like the further south in NZ, the better they taste.
Freshly caught, from Stewart Island . super good, unsurpassed, can taste the sea.
God's gift to fish lovers!

kay141, May 25, 8:01am
I agree. The blue cod caught in Foveaux Strait tastes completely different to that from Cook Strait and I get that the day it is caught.

samanya, May 25, 8:15am
Oh, kay141 . where do you buy it the day it's caught? I'd love to know.

beaker59, May 25, 11:58am
Dunedin and the Chathams cold enough :)

Most of our recent catches have been around Hawkes bay though. We do get an occasional Bluey in the outer Hauraki gulf also some years Red cod though very occasionally.

kay141, May 25, 8:31pm
Sorry, but I don't buy it. Granddaughter's partner sometimes catches it and I get given some. I haven't had any for a while though, he's too busy to go fishing.

buzzy110, May 25, 10:04pm
So how does someone living in the Wellington area get blue cod from the Foveaux Strait the day it is caught? I've known fishermen in Bluff and I've never yet been able to achieve that desirable outcome, well not cheaply anyway.

rainrain1, May 25, 10:48pm
Waihola

rainrain1, May 25, 10:53pm
How very strange. blue cod is one of the best fish in the worlds oceans

samanya, May 25, 11:10pm
I'd agree. Love it.
Caught a couple last time I was on Stewart Island . superb!