How do I cook a cured but not cooked ham?

rivercottage1, Dec 18, 8:39pm
Hi, I'm asking for a friend who son rears pigs and has given them a raw ham. we are not sure how to cook it. she has cooked one before but it turn out very dry. So we hope someone here has the answer please, Thanks

245sam, Dec 18, 11:21pm
rivercottage1, here's a couple of options for your friend.

AUNT DAISY'S HAM
To Bake:
Wrap the ham in 2 thicknesses of greaseproof paper to keep in the juices and flavour, then put it into a baking dish with a little hot water.
Bake very slowly, allowing 20-25 minutes for each pound (450g-500g).
Leave in the oven to cool, after turning off the heat. Remove the paper; then skin and score the fat into small diamond shapes. Stick a clove in each. Pour over a thick syrup of spiced vinegar and brown sugar, and put back in the oven for about 20 minutes at 200°C (400°F). Sprinkle with crisp browned breadcrumbs.
Instead of spiced syrup you can spread the ham with 1 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 cup juice from spiced peaches, or pour over it canned pineapple juice, and keep the ham basted with this for 20 minutes. You could also baste with cooking sherry.
To Boil:
Put into hot water to cover. Bring slowly to the boil and simmer gently. Allow 20-25 minutes for each pound (450g-500g). Test with a metal skewer. Leave in the water to cool. Skin and glaze as above.

I personally haven't tried either of the above but hope they will help your friend - neither IMO should result in a dry ham. :-))

uli, Dec 18, 11:32pm
If it is cured and smoked but still raw then you need a huge pot of boiling water, lower the ham into it and from then on keep it about 90 to 100 degrees, NOT boiling but very slowly simmering.

If it is small enough I would cook it in a crock pot - easier to keep the temp down.

In both cases it has to go in at room temp (not straight from the fridge) and into a boiling pot of water, so it is not leached out.
Depending on the size this takes about 3 hours - about 40 minutes per kilo from the time it starts simmering again.

Preferably it will then cool down in the water, so it doesn't dry out. Cut up next morning when cool and fridge.

Make sure to freeze the cooking water in ice cream containers for lovely winter soups to come in a few months.

Good luck!

crails, Dec 19, 1:31am
My husbands family every year encase there raw ham in dough and bake it overnight at a low temperature Ithink about 130 degree

uli, Mar 28, 1:02am
That is another great option!

Make sure you have a nice sourdough bread dough though, as the white flour doughs may burn before the ham is done.