butter cream help

allenj2, May 3, 8:47am
need a really good recipe for a birthday cake please ?

elliehen, May 3, 9:49am
Here's a recipe from pam. delilah. Put 'buttercream' - one word - in the Recipes Anytime search and you'll get more ideas ;)

Buttercream Icing
• 1cup butter or margarine softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 cups sifted icing sugar
• 2 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.
In large bowl, cream butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rebeating before using.
The beating is the secret, to make sure it is light and fluffy.

rarkl, May 3, 9:57pm
Can buttercream icing be piped? And i'm glad you guys posted recipes that don't have shortening in them! ! So hard to find one that doesn't use Kremelta.

eternity04, Apr 1, 8:02am
I use Chefade in my buttercream. It holds the shape better and it is less likely melt as fast as butter or marg would in a recipe by its self.

1/2 cup of butter or marg
1/2 cup of chefade
4 cups of sifted icing sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla or any other flavouring.
3 - 4 tablespoons of milk.

Beat butter, add the chefade and continue to beating until white in colour. Add the icing sugar abit at a time, mix well. Add the flavour and milk. Mix well until combined. Add any colour to the icing. Use paste colours as I'm not sure if liquid colours will work. Use in a pipingbag. Or just spread onto the cake.