Beef cheek - how to cook it?

muffin2, Aug 1, 2:54am
Wife felt the urge to buy a beef cheek as we've not had it before, but I've got no idea what to do with it. it looks like the cut of meat that should be slow cooked or braised for a couple of hours like in a beef casserole or similar

any suggestions?

davidt4, Aug 1, 3:03am
Beef cheek needs very long slow cooking as it is a lot of connective tissue that needs to break down. Give it at least four hours at 160 C, longer is better.

bananacorp, Aug 1, 3:22am
Best beef cheek recipe ever.

http://www.thehungrylawyer.com.au/recipes/thai-braised-beef-cheeks/

So good -'had it last night and it's A family favourite.

Long and slow cooking is the secret. I do this in the crockpot. Season and brown in a hot frypan or on BBQ. Crockpot on high for 2-3 hours then down to low for another 5-6 hours

spotswood, Aug 1, 4:27am
The Aussie butcher has a recipe in their winter recipe book that is available now.Also Alison Holst has one in her latest slow cooker recipe book.I cooked mine in the slowcooker with a similar recipe that I use for oxtail. it was delicious !

samanya, Aug 1, 5:03am
I've pressured cooked them & they were beautiful.

benthecat, Aug 1, 5:22am
Oh yes! Beef cheeks are beautiful slow cooked in a casserole. We found out about these when we had our first beefy 'done' and was recommended to keep the beef cheeks by the guy who did the deed - and he was so right.

beaker59, Aug 1, 5:27am
I recommend that you keep the cheeks in large pieces I basically cut mine into a large piece each so nice to cut into with a fork. Rich flavours work well and juniper berries (just a few).

awoftam, Aug 1, 5:30am
*dribbles* Divine.

awoftam, Aug 1, 6:10am
Where do you get galangal from? I have never seen it and wish I could source it from somewhere.

samanya, Aug 1, 6:23am
david4t will probably be able to tell you where to get it fresh . I got it frozen from an Asian specialty store.

davidt4, Aug 1, 7:17am
I haven't seen galangal fresh in NZ ; we grow it and I freeze what I don't use when I have dug some up. It freezes well.

I have seen frozen galangal at the Thai food shop in Mt Albert next to the lawnmower shop. 849 New North Road.

awoftam, Aug 1, 7:38am
Thanks heaps I haven't ever seen it and I want some for a rendang I want to do - I didn't know it could be grown here, this could be a go!

davidt4, Aug 1, 7:41am
Ours is really vigorous in Auckland and would take over the vege bed if not dug regularly. There are various kinds and ours is the pinky-white one, which I think is more hardy than the yellowish pink kind.

smallwoods, Aug 1, 9:12am
At the restaurant we were at tonight, they had beef cheeks on the menu, slow cooked for 48 hours.

karlymouse, Aug 1, 9:34am
I recently cooked them. they took a lot (lot lot) of trimming . I slow cooked them in sherry, red wine and vegetables. the sauce was devine. however I would not bother again to be honest . it was not a texture I really liked and I love lamb shanks . but to each their own.

fishb8, Jan 28, 8:54am
I buy it regularly and there are numerous ways. pressure cooker is good, slow braise in oven and slow cooker.
Recently did a curry in a slow cooker and put 4 eggs into mix.
When we opened eggs, they were currified and delicious