Where to purchase ginger in syrup?

chynna2, Apr 19, 8:18am
There was a nice feijoa, date & ginger loaf recipe in today's "Your Weekend" lift-out. However, the recipe required either crystallised ginger or ginger in syrup. I am OK with finding the crystallised ginger in the baking section, but if I chose to use the ginger in syrup where would I find this in the supermarket?

Which would give the mildest flavour - the crystallised or the syrup version?

dalkemade, Apr 19, 8:23am
Try an Asian food store for the ginger in syrup. Not too sure off hand about the mildest flavour. I like crystallised in baking etc myself

karlymouse, Apr 19, 8:41am
Yes look in Asian food stores, usually in a china jar - and personally I think its milder in the syrup rather than crystallised.

murfee, Apr 19, 9:14am
I got some in NW in a glass jar in the pickles section, have also purchased at the Asian store

fifie, Apr 19, 9:34am
Love this organic ginger syrup, its yummy over deserts, cakes, pancakes etc, mild also buy it local and its popular.
http://www.wisecicada.co.nz/products/view/the-ginger-people-organic-ginger-syrup-237ml/

chynna2, Apr 19, 11:38am
Thank you for the advice on where to find this everyone! :-)

thewomble1, Apr 19, 12:20pm
Countdown (Johnsonville) has it with all the other Asian type foods.

mjhdeal, Apr 19, 7:57pm
I bought some from Nosh - that was a few years ago now, but assume they would still stock it.

whitehead., Apr 19, 10:39pm
put a quarter cup of sugar in a pan with a cup of sugar melt slowly with out stirring when boiling put your ginger in and and boil for a 5/6 minutes then remove to dry onto a greases and sugared tray to dry . you can slice your ginger before you do this for ease of using . if you like it spicy add a tea spoon of dry ginger or grate a finger of green ginger into it for a fresh taste

nauru, Sep 27, 8:12am
Don't you mean ¼ cup water with the cup sugar?