Hard boiling eggs in a pot on an induction hob

marin6, Feb 22, 4:33am
Can anyone please tell me how to do this so that the yolks don't have a green/grey tinge around the outside?
On an ordinary stove top this only occurred when I over-cooked the eggs, but these eggs are not overcooked - just discoloured.

Thanks

lilyfield, Feb 22, 5:01am
lol, eggs in water cook the same on any heat source

dbab, Feb 22, 5:37am
Doesn't happen here. I've had an induction hob for 18 years.
You need to put them into cold water when cooked. I usually put plenty of cold water in the sink and leave them in there.

marin6, Feb 22, 5:42am
Thanks dbab, but I already do that - the problem causes a grey discolouration when making stuffed eggs - it is good t know that you don't have that problem - maybe it's not the induction hob.

samanya, Feb 22, 5:43am
I have an induction hob & I'm sure that that isn't the key factor, really.
I like my 'hard' boiled eggs not that hard, so I always boil hard for 3 minutes . turn off the hob & rest for 5 mins & then cool. My chooks don't always lay even sized eggs but it works for me.
I suspect that the grey is due to overcooking.

aktow, Feb 22, 12:43pm
marin6 try this. eggs turn out great

1) place eggs in pot and just cover with water,,
i use water out of the cold tap.
2) put lid on pot and bring water to the boil
3) when water is boiling turn down the heat so the water is simmering
4) boil eggs for 8 minutes for yolk to be soft and cooked or 9 minutes for the yolk to be yellow and firm
5) take off eggs and tip out hot water,, cool off eggs in cold water. i usually smash the shells and leave in cold water until i need them, . this way the shell comes off easily.

rainrain1, Feb 22, 7:56pm
They go grey if left too long before peeling

245sam, Feb 5, 8:04am
marin6, I do not have an induction stove-top and neither do I hard-boil eggs however I do hard-cook eggs by the following method which I have used for many years, since reading it explained in (from memory) Lois Daish's column in The Listener.

Put the eggs in a saucepan with a little baking soda (Lois did not suggest this – it is something I do though since reading it somewhere as a recommendation – it makes the eggs easier to peel) and add enough cold water to cover the eggs. Bring all to the boil.

If the eggs were from the refrigerator turn the heat off, cover the saucepan and leave it on the heat for 1 minute, then remove it from the heat and leave it to stand for 8-10 minutes. After that time tip the hot water off the eggs and immediately cool them with cold running water.
If the eggs were at room temperature cover the saucepan and remove it from the heat as soon as the water boils, then leave it to stand as above, for 8-10 minutes.

Cooking the eggs as above, rather than actually boiling the eggs, overcomes any likelihood of that (IMO) ghastly looking grey outline that hard-boiled egg yolks often have.

Hope that helps. :-))