Silverbeet stems

Hi just wondered if anyone has a good recipe for silverbeet stems. Thanks in afvance.

Chef_walt, Jul 24, 5:20 pm

Put them in your stir fry? In your soup? In the chook boil up pot? try them in a potato bake? Slice, and stir fry with bacon bits

Chef_rainrain1, Jul 24, 5:30 pm

Lovely with a cheese sauce or soft blue cheese mixed through.

Chef_kay141, Jul 24, 5:40 pm

Not sure who posted this but its nice.
Silverbeet ~ Creamed
1 cup water 1 tbsp soy sauce 1/2 x tsp chicken stock powder black pepper dash garlic powder silverbeet 100ml cream
4 x tsp. cornflour
Method:
Wash the silverbeet remove leaves slice the stalks into pieces.
In a saucepan or wok combine water, soy sauce, chicken stock, pepper and garlic powder. Bring to boil. Add silverbeet stalks to wok reduce heat , cover and simmer about 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Blend cream with cornflour and then stir into mix. Cook and stir until thickened. Serve Immediately, can keep leaves you strip off stalks slice add to stalks and cook 1-2 mins extra before adding cream.

Chef_fifie, Jul 24, 5:41 pm

Old fashioned cooking was to peel and cut them, then boil in some water, then use that water to make a white sauce (with flour), add salt and pepper and some spices or herbs if you like and cream and some cheese and place the stems into that as a side dish to meat and potatoes.
Can also make it into a gratin with even more cheese on top.

Personally I grow spinach beet and use the much smaller stems and the leaves at the same time.

rainrain1 - you are showing your age!
chook boil up pot (who still does that nowadays I wonder) - get them a warm mash on a cold morning :)

Chef_uli, Jul 24, 5:42 pm

I do. you old hag. how old are you
Let me guess. not a day over 71

Chef_rainrain1, Jul 24, 5:47 pm

haaa . my mum used to do that. Boil up all the vege peelings & I think she used to put some sort of chook mash stuff in it . whatever she did, the chooks loved it!

Chef_samanya, Jul 24, 5:56 pm

We have a lot of scraps, and I hate wasting them, I find the hens don't like uncooked peelings, and I love my hens.

Chef_rainrain1, Jul 24, 6:00 pm

I love my girls too, but they don't get the 'boil up'. They usually get silver beet straight from the garden, but this year, because it's been a really tough winter . there's not much silver beet to give, the sparrows etc have beaten me to it, in spite of being fed with birdseed daily!

Chef_samanya, Jul 24, 6:11 pm

The birds have eaten the silverbeet here too, the leeks have been stagnant all Winter for the first time ever. Winter has been too cold

Chef_rainrain1, Jul 24, 6:19 pm

The birds have eaten heaps of stuff here, too. Beetroot tops, even, but they don't seem to like the Kohl Rabi tops, or onions. My brassicas are in a butterfly proof cage, so they are OK but not a cm of growth.
Someone will suggest I get back on subject ;o) . silver beet stems are all I've got left & if I get desperate, I'll use them, in a creamy sauce.

Chef_samanya, Jul 24, 7:14 pm

i used to saute them in the pan juices of lamb with rosemary - was yum

Chef_motorbo, Jul 24, 8:20 pm

Thanks everyone hate the idea of throwing them such a waste.

Chef_walt, Jul 24, 8:28 pm

Slice them and put into the bottom of the pot/steamer, with the leaves sliced on top - they cook in the same amount of time. Yum.

Chef_floralsun, Jul 24, 9:24 pm

That's what I do, too. Then butter, salt, pepper. :)

Chef_mjhdeal, Jul 25, 4:57 am

Use in a vege soup especially good in a borsch or minestrone.
Here is Digby Laws recipe for Silverbeet stalks in Garlic Tomato Sauce

2 cups stalks in 2cm pieces
Can Tomato Puree
3 cloves Garlic crushed
Salt and Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes, covered or until tender.

Chef_arielbooks, Jul 25, 9:36 am

Me too. :-)

Chef_juliewn, Jul 25, 9:14 pm

Me too

Chef_lilyfield, Jul 25, 9:38 pm

in a crock pot with the silverside.
or as part of a vege soup.

Chef_jethrocat, Jul 25, 9:58 pm

Why don't you just cook the stems up with greenery and eat the whole leaf? That way you don't have to worry about what to do with the stems

Chef_rainrain1, Jul 26, 8:00 am

The stems are nice so long as you don't go right to the end where they are much tougher and can get a bit 'stingy'. Just slice them like you would celery - across into half moon shapes - and put them in a bit before you add the leafy tops to which ever dish you're cooking.

Chef_sampa, Jul 26, 10:10 am

Make curried fritters from them - yum

Chef_jan2242, Feb 14, 2:18 pm

Share this thread