Poaching eggs without vinegar Q ?

Page 1 / 2
holly-rocks, Aug 16, 5:28am
Hi guys :)

I've been having poached eggs for brecky this week but have ran out of vinegar, I poached some this morning ( in plain water) and they were pretty gross and slimy. I have a yucky headcold and just cant be bothered going to the supermarket, is there something else i can use in the mean time? Hey thanks ( =

chito, Aug 16, 5:29am
Use water.

holly-rocks, Aug 16, 5:31am
Yip thats what i used, just wondering if there is something else i can add to the water to keep them more together like when you use vinegar?

grannypam, Aug 16, 5:31am
I only ever use water . vinegar in my eggs is yuk. lol

carriebradshaw, Aug 16, 5:40am
I never put vinegar in the water and I've never had a problem.Personally I don't like the taste of eggs when vinegar has been added to the water,

arielbooks, Aug 16, 5:43am
I always use salt as hubby doesn't like the pickled taste vinegar gives. The salt with firm up the white and stop it running. Personally I now prefer them cooked in salted water.

lilyfield, Aug 16, 5:49am
Yes, salt only

holly-rocks, Aug 16, 5:53am
Thank you ~ will try salt ( =

uli, Aug 16, 6:02am
Now I need a microwave by the looks :)

rainrain1, Aug 16, 6:03am
Fresh eggs will cure your problem

biggles45, Aug 16, 6:10am
Agree. Break eggs into seperate saucers. Boil the water in a deep pan, once boiling well stir water rapidly till it is going round and round the pan, quickly slide eggs in and keep it boiling. The rolling motion keeps the whites together and you get a lovely egg shaped poached egg.

nauru, Aug 16, 6:43am
I use those egg poaching pods in the MW, works well.

holly-rocks, Aug 16, 7:16am
How random! haha!

wildflower, Aug 16, 7:18am
I've never heard of using vinegar. Only ever water.

lodgelocum, Aug 16, 7:20am
^^ This

holly-rocks, Aug 16, 7:26am
Might try it too! When i have lots of milk!

Have a great weekend :)

kindajojo, Aug 16, 7:28am
Lemon juice

twelve12, Aug 16, 9:50am
You don't need vinegar.
Don't have the water boiling, but only just hot enough to have bubbles rising.
Use a thick bottomed pan.
Use the freshest eggs you can find, and crack them into a slotted spoon to drain off the watery part of the white.
As others have said, put in a bowl, or gently slip off the slotted spoon.

karlymouse, Aug 16, 11:02am
apparently only fresh eggs poach really well in water with a pinch of salt added. no vinegar required

wombat69, Aug 16, 11:07am
We add Tabasco sauce to the water when poaching eggs.

chef42, Aug 16, 11:38am
if you run out of vinegar for poached eggs, 1/4tspn salt is the next best thing give it a go

rainrain1, Aug 16, 11:09pm
A fresh egg and boiling water is all I need

drommy, Aug 17, 4:29am
I bring water to a boil, then turn it down to a light simmer. Once it's calmed down I swirl the water to make a wee whirlpool, break the eggs one at a time into a cup and gently slide them into the water. The whirlpooly water wraps the white around the yolk, and the lack of a vigorous boil stops it from breaking up. No vinegar, and I sometimes add salt but only out of habit, not because I need to.

Love poached eggs!

tazdevil38, Aug 17, 9:46am
Actually, you don't need the water boiling. Eggs will cook in 60 degree water. Boiling makes them rubbery. Poaching is slower cooking, otherwise they'd be called boiled eggs.

aktow, Dec 28, 8:11am
i gave up all that restaurant bull years ago. you do not need a deep pan of boiling water,, who cares if a eggs are not round. now if i am hungry,, i get a 2 ltr icecream container and put cold water in to it. i break 8 eggs in to the water and put it in a microwave. roughly 4 minutes the eggs are perfect. soft in the middle .