Tell me how what you cook in your convection oven

teddy147, Jun 30, 8:45am
I brought a convection oven today and cooked a size 20 chicken stuffed, and roast vegies in it tonight. the chicken was beautiful and juicey.
I love to know what you cook in yours and recipes please tia.

propagator, Jul 1, 4:36am
Are you talking about the Sunbeam NutriOven? I have a size 12 chicken in it now. First time for me. Will let you know how it goes. Cooked some scones in it earlier. Thought it took a long time to come up to heat. Practice makes perfect I suppose.

teddy147, Jul 1, 5:40am
yes I am, my chicken came out beautifully

teddy147, Jul 3, 3:16am
anyone ?

awoftam, Jul 3, 6:13am
I brought one off the One Day site - its a Singer so I was dubious however it seems to cook okay. My mum has used sunbeam for years (she is on her second) and swears by them. I did cook a large cake in mine the other day however it didn't cook on the bottom properly. I am guessing mine won't be as good however will soon see! Mum basically never uses her oven at all. Just her sunbeam.

teddy147, Jul 5, 7:48am
Yes a freind and her husband use a convection oven instead of their oven.

kiwigoldie, Jul 6, 12:16am
With your cake, don't forget to reduce your temperature and use the metal expander ring. if the cake seems cooked on the top but not fully. you can cover it with tinfoil. but remember you need to tuck the foil underneath r the bottom on the tin to hold it from flying away with the fan motor.

tessie2, Jul 6, 12:30am
I have one also but never tried scones or baking. How did your scones turn out? One thing I've noticed is that the temperatures are slowly being washed away and I have only ever used soft cloth to clean with, never anything abrasive.

teddy147, Jul 7, 5:17am
I have roast beef in mine plus vegies tonight, have just put in the cloves of garlic. I hope it turns out.
It would be great to get some ideas of what can be cooked in these ovens, we are a family of 4 and finding it good for a large chicken n vegies so far.

jessie981, Jul 7, 6:30am
I sold mine but pork always came out yum with crackling

awoftam, Jul 7, 8:11am
What's the metal expander ring? Mine didn't come with anything like that. Yea re the tinfoil I did attempt that lol but it just kept whizzing up to the fan. the outsides of the cake were yum and the birds loved the rest. I am using it heaps to cook my dinners in as I bake and roast a lot (including all my veges) and it is just so fast. Loving it so far.

teddy147, Jul 8, 10:52pm
I lined the bottom of my with tinfoil when I cooked the beef roast, the beef is tender and the vegies turned out well.

sampa, Jul 9, 1:01am
I had one for ages and used it constantly when my dinosaur normal oven was well and truly past its 'best by' date (now replaced and I love using my new, much more compact and economical oven). It was great for roasts (always need to check the bottom though and turn over if need be - only real bug bear as it was awkward to do so). My husband cleaned it up all shiny-new looking and gave it to a guy at his work that had recently separated and wanted to cook more for his kids when they visited than what he could manage with only a hob. Last I heard he was still loving it and making great use of it. Very worthwhile item for smaller households, those in need of a second oven or people with holiday homes etc.

awoftam - an expander ring sits on top of the body of the oven and under the 'lid' thereby increasing the oven area and the distance from the heat source to whatever it may be that you're cooking. quite a necessary piece of kit if you want to bake or do larger cuts of meat etc.

Just remembered. I used to buy pork chops and cut the rind off and cook the lean meat in the frypan till just done. The rind however used to go into the convection oven on top of a pan of par boiled and floured Agria potatoes to roast up till the crispy, crackled stage. Worked a treat and was very easy to cook to perfection since you can see exactly what is going on in them. :)

aktow, Jul 9, 1:14pm
i have had 6 types of convection oven and none of them had the temperature/ timing writing last long. i put clear tape over my new convection oven after most of the writing was gone after using it twice.

hestia, Nov 21, 2:05am
I tend to make pinwheel scones, both sweet and savoury. Because the heat source is at the top of the unit, the scones come out nice and brown on top, but pale and doughy at the bottom. In order to get a better cooking result, I baked the scones at 200°C for 13 minutes, and then left them in the oven for 5 minutes to allow the residue heat to finish cooking the scones. Don't leave them in for more than 10 minutes, as this would dry them out.