Baked Cauliflower

paghan, Jun 30, 2:25am
I see lots of different recipes on the net but was wondering if someone had a tried and tested recipe? I was thinking of just putting the head of cauliflower in a oven dish chucking on some salt pepper and garlic and roasting with the spuds etc. Thanks :)

davidt4, Jun 30, 2:56am
Cut a large cauli into large florets. Toss with 3 tab olive oil, butter or coconut oil, plus a tsp of salt. Arrange in one layer in a roasting dish and roast at 170 C for about an hour, turning the florets over a couple of times. The cauli will turn golden brown quite quickly, but needs an hour to caramelise properly. Serve hot or warm.

kirmag, Jun 30, 3:52am
I haven't tried cauli but broccoli is delish baked/roasted. I too cut it into florets dried it really well. Drizzled well with olive oil, added some.salt n pepper and sliced garlic. Once cooked I drizzled with some lemon juice and chucked in some toasted sliced almonds. yummmmmm!

holly-rocks, Jun 30, 3:58am
Roasted cauli is so good! i roast mine the same as davidt4. Yumm!

thejewellerybox, Jun 30, 4:17am
I make mine like Davids but I also rub the florets with garlic and turn about every 15 minutes. Yum1

paghan, Jun 30, 4:23am
Great thanks. I shall make it for dinner tonight to accompany the roast chicken

jaygee1962, Jun 30, 4:24am
Oh yeah, roasted cauli is yummo. I put cauli florets in a bowl with some olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic and slice or two of lemon. Swirl it all around so the cauli gets smeared in oil, lid on and then into the oven at 170-180 for 30-40-ish minutes, check and if not done to liking just cook for longer. I did do it a couple of times with broccoli but it went crispy and I didn't really like the texture.

rarogal, Jun 30, 5:07am
I've crumbed pieces of cauliflower and deep fried it before. It was great, eat a bit healthier now, but well worth it once in a while!

geldof, Jun 30, 5:37am

paghan, Jul 1, 10:01am
I made them like jaygee and they were very nice, thanks for all the input :o)

ruby19, Jul 1, 8:43pm
made this from Delicious Magazine last night YUM! It has already been requested for our family Christmas dinner. My only change was adding a couple of tsp of Vegeta stock powder to the poaching liquid of the cauli. I poached cauli ahead of time and left to drain.

Whole roasted cauliflower with cheddar and spring onion sauce.

1 large cauliflower head, trimmed
300ml dry white wine
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp black peppercorns
Garlic bulb, halved horizontally
1 free-range egg, lightly beaten and seasoned well
Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), for grating

For the sauce
Olive oil for frying
1 banana shallot, very finely chopped
50ml dry white wine
300g vintage or extra-mature cheddar, grated
125ml whipping cream
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced

METHOD

01.Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Put the cauliflower in a large pan with the 300ml wine, bay leaves, peppercorns and garlic halves. Pour over boiling water from the kettle to just cover the cauliflower – don’t worry if it floats – and simmer on the hob for 20 minutes, turning halfway through. Carefully lift the cauliflower out of the poaching liquid into a colander and leave for 10 minutes to steam dry (see tip).
02.Put the cauliflower in a roasting tin, brush all over with the egg, then grate over a generous amount of parmesan so it covers the top and sides. Roast in the top third of the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.
03.Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat a splash of olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the shallot and cook for 5-6 minutes until translucent and soft. Add the 50ml wine and bubble until evaporated by two thirds. Turn the heat down to its lowest setting, then add the cheese and cream. Stir constantly until the cheese melts to a smooth sauce. Stir through the chilli and spring onions, season, then pour into a warmed jug. Put a piece of cling film directly onto the surface of the sauce and keep somewhere warm.
04.When the cauliflower is roasted, remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Take it to the table, then pour over two thirds of the sauce before carving. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Don’t discard the cauliflower poaching liquid – strain and store in the fridge or freezer to use as a base for soup or stock.
Poach the cauliflower the day before, then drain and chill, covered in cling film, until ready to roast. Make the cheese sauce the day before, then reheat very gently to avoid splitting.

nauru, Jul 2, 7:04am
Roasted cauli is really nice. I often put some in with mixed roast veges

eclair5, Apr 15, 5:50pm
Roasted cauliflower is wonderful, I never bother boiling it now as roasted is so much nicer. Sometimes I sprinkle it with curry powder first when I drizzle and toss it in olive oil. It's fabulous!