Cake,slices,biscuit ideas

bev00, Mar 21, 10:31am
Spiced Fruit Slice: It's in an old recipe book that I have so ingredients are in ounces!
Base: 4oz butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg beaten, 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder. Cream butter and sugar, add egg, then flour and bp. Spread 3/4 of mixture over base of tin.
Topping: 8oz sultanas, 1/2 cup sugar, 1tsp butter, 1tsp cocoa, 1/2 cup water, 1 heaped tsp flour, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp spice. Boil together slowly for 4 minutes stirring all the time. Let it cool then spread over shortcrust base, then scatter rest of base mixture over the top and bake for 25mins at 180c.

Edited by jascas at 4:37 pm, Wed 19 Mar

jascas (105 105 positive feedback) 4:36 pm, Wed 19 Mar #2

JOY’S SQUARE – from the NZ Woman’s Weekly “Best of Baking”, 1987
½ cup water
1½ cups sultanas
1 tbsp each of butter, flour and cocoa
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp each of cinnamon and mixed spice
2 cups flour
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
175g butter

Place the water, sultanas, butter and first measure of flour, cocoa, brown sugar, cinnamon and mixed spice in a saucepan. Mix well and bring to the boil.
Sift the second measure of flour into a bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Press ¾ of the mixture into a greased 30cm x 18cm sponge roll tin. Pour the cooled sultana mixture over the base and crumble the remaining base mixture over the top.
Bake at 180ºC for 25 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
Cut into slices when cool. :-))

245sam (48 48 positive feedback) 6:52 pm, Wed 19 Mar #6
I've seen lots of variations on this slice using dates, apricots, apple and blackberries; so many tempting

bev00, Mar 21, 10:34am
Easy & Yum

Date loaf
1 cup chopped dates, 1 cup boiling water, 1 teaspoon soda,
1 tablespoon butter, 1 cup brown or white sugar, 1 egg.
2 cups plain flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder.
Cover dates and butter with water, stir until butter melts, add soda. Set aside for 1 hour. Beat in sugar, egg, sift in flour and BP and stir to mix. Greased loaf tin, 180C for 45 minutes.

campmum (212 212 positive feedback) 2:32 pm, Wed 19 Mar #2
Thankyou that's perfect. Cheers Jen

dilligaf_dah (3468 3468 positive feedback) 2:48 pm, Wed 19 Mar #3
Almost the same as #2:

Edmonds Date Loaf
1 cup chopped dates, 1 cup boiling water, 1tsp baking soda, 1tbsp butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1egg, 1 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 tsp vanilla essence, 2 cups plain flour, 1tsp baking powder.

Put dates, water, soda and butter in bowl, stir till butter melted, set aside for 1 hour. Beat sugar, egg, walnuts & vanilla into date mixture, fold in flour and baking powder. Greased or lined loaf tin, 180C for 50-60 minutes or until springs back. Leave in tin 10 minutes.

kaddiew (112 112 positive feedback) 3:01 pm, Wed 19 Mar #4
Another similar recipe but the following recipe has less sugar and less flour.

DATE LOAF
1 cup each of dates and boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Place the dates in a bowl, then pour the boiling water over and sprinkle the baking soda over. Cover the bowl and leave until cold (overnight is ok).
Mix the brown sugar and butter, then add the egg and beat together until thick and spongy. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, alternately with the date mixture. Place in a greased loaf tin.
Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour.
Variation: For a nice mixed fruit and nut loaf add, with the dates, about ½ cup sultanas and a few chopped nuts. :-))

245sam (48 48 positive feedback) 5:38 pm, Wed 19 Mar #5
I mash my dates in the hot water when they are soft with a potato masher before adding the other ingredients. My recipe is much the same as above. Sometimes add a small teaspoon of spice or ginger for a change.

Edited by asue at 8:58 pm, Wed 19 Mar

asue (483 483 positive feedback) 8:58 pm, Wed 19 Mar #6
asue wrote:
I mash my dates in the hot water when they are soft with a potato masher before adding the other ingredients. My recipe is much the same as above. Sometimes add a small teaspoon of spice or ginger for a change.

I do this too. Puts the dates all through the loaf.

try these date scones some time

half a packet of dates in a bowl covered in boiling water.
three cups self raising flour
about half a cup sugar.

Strain the dates and let them cool.
then add to the flour and sugar.
mix the dates in reasonably well, then pour in a good slosh of cream. Maybe just over half a 300ml bottle.
Mix in then turn on the cold tap to a slow trickle, quick dash with the bowl under the tap, mix, another dash under the tap, mix again.
Continue till you have a consistent scone dough.
If you're fussy, make individual scones. I just plop the whole lot onto a sheet of baking paper on an oven slide, flatten to an even thickness all over, into the oven at 200* for about 15minutes then check to see if they are cooked enough.
Do this by pressing the top at the middle. Shouldn't be too much 'give'.
but not like a brick either.
Take from the oven, cool (If you can wait that long) then cut to whatever size you want.
I started doing it this way when hubby was grumbling that my scones were too small, so I said, cut them your size. he does.
They reheat the next day beautifully. No hassle of rubbing in butter.
If you REALLY want to, you can use milk to mix, but I find they are perfect with water, and I'm an ex caterer
Mrs C

colin433 (5 5 positive feedback) 9:16 pm, Wed 19 Mar #7

sla11, Mar 22, 5:18am
Don't forget to ice the cakes! Have worked in many R/Homes where they just get light dust of Icing Sugar; lot of residents old school cooks and love the real deal! Usually savoury morning tea with cake/slices afternoons. Good luck!

julz29, Apr 8, 7:19am
I have just started working in a retirement village and need ideas of recipes that the elderly like

lcl2, Apr 8, 7:39am
Pineapple muffins are always a great hit, just make plain muffins and add crushed pineapple and a wee bit of cinnamon. Just remember not to make anything that is too crunchy as a lot of elderly people can't eat it. Scones goes well for morning tea and carrot cake along with sultana cake, Madeira cake, chocolate cake, Louise slice, date slice. vanilla and chocolate chip biscuits. These are the sort of things I used to make for the resthome i worked in. It was only small - 45 residents so they used to get something different everyday. The Edmonds Cookbook was always on my baking bench
anything that was left over I used to leave for the night staff

2spotties, Apr 8, 7:44am
My nana is always making apple cinnamon muffins and date loaf.

kiwisportsgirl, Apr 11, 10:55am
Date scones, Cheese Scones, Savoury Muffins, Blueberry Muffins, Banana Muffins, Pineapple Muffins these are some of the things for morning tea. Afternoon Tea usually biscuits, slices and cakes. Banana, Chocolate Carrot Cakes. Biscuits Chocolate Chip, Do some plain biscuits and put M@M's in them, Marshmellow Slice, Chocolate Peppermint, Coconut Slice, Ginger Crunch, Caramel Slice. Diabetics can have sandwiches or crackers with tomatoes or do something with sugar substitute. Happy Baking.
Just remembered another favourite is pikelets. (With jam and cream of course) Same with plain scones. Possibilities are endless.

rosiemoodle, Apr 12, 1:52am
shortbread,ginger gems (if you can get gem irons),fruit loaf

lynja, Dec 7, 10:09am
maybe you could work with the activities facilitator and ask the residents for suggestions. I am sure with the TM members help you could find most recipes the residents suggest. It would be interesting to hear what their favourites were/are.