Cleaning Your Oven Quickly and Cheaply

petal1955, Jul 21, 10:42pm
Did this method last night and it really is the quickest and cheapest way.

Homebrand Ammonia from Countdown was $3.79 a 1L bottle (which will last you 4 applications) No more spray cans running out half way through the job)

CLEANING YOUR OVEN
- The easiest way EVER!

Begin by preheating the oven to 50 degrees (or your lowest setting available). While the oven is heating, put on a pot of water to boil. Once the oven has reached 50, turn it off and pour 1 cup of ammonia into a heat safe bowl or baking dish and place it on the top rack of the oven. Place the pot of boiling water on the bottom rack, close the oven door, and leave them both in the oven overnight.

The next morning, open the oven and remove both the bowl of ammonia and the pot of water, keep the ammonia – you’ll use it later. Remove the racks and leave the oven door open to air out for 15 minutes. Add 1-2 teaspoons of dishwashing liquid to the ammonia, along with 4 cups of warm water, and using a heavy-duty nylon scrubbing pad dipped in the ammonia mixture, begin to wipe away the softened grease and grime along the sides and bottom of the oven.

It should be a fairly easy job at this point. Wear some kitchen gloves, since ammonia can be caustic to skin. Rinse/wipe clean with a damp cloth.

kaddiew, Jul 21, 10:54pm
My parents used a similar method too, many decades ago. Smelly but did the trick.

It also worked well for our first home kitchen walls and ceiling which were badly nicotine and grease stained; really revolting. We boiled a large pot of. water and ammonia on the stove top, closed the room up and waited. The brown goo melted and dripped off the ceiling and walls, making it much easier to wipe off.

lythande1, Jul 22, 2:27am
What do you think is in oven cleaner?
Mainly lye. could make your own I guess but 1 can lasts me 3 cleans.

buzzy110, Jul 22, 4:21am
Thank you for your suggestion petal. It is much appreciated. I hate the spray cans of oven cleaner. No matter how well you clean up afterward, there is always smelly stuff caught in corners that stinks to high heaven when the oven is next switched on. It contaminates food as well which is why I prefer wiping clean after every use but wiping doesn't get it all clean and eventually something has to be done.

awoftam, Jul 22, 6:33am
Cool, thanks for the post. I will give it a go. I don't like oven cleaner for many reasons.

dibble35, Jul 22, 8:12am
Does it smell less than the aerosol oven cleaners? - I don't like using them as I find them really hard on my lungs, even the so called less toxic ones.

petal1955, Jul 22, 6:16pm
Does it smell less than the aerosol oven cleaners? - I don't like using them as I find them really hard on my lungs, even the so called less toxic ones.

dibble35 (653 653 positive feedback) 8:12 pm, Tue 21 Jul #6

It doesnt smell as badly as the aerosol cans. but always open windows to provide good ventilation

buzzy110, Jul 22, 10:25pm
I have that issue as well. But what really gets me is that no matter how well you clean all trace of the spray on cleaner from the oven, there is always some left in joins and hiding underneath things and next time you turn the oven on the whole house stinks. That smell must surely contaminate any food that goes into the oven as well.

I have often resorted to turning the oven on for a few hours after cleaning and going out but that still doesn't get that contaminating stink out fully.

I now wipe my oven down after every use but that has its limits. I use my Easy Cook and put the racks in the dishwasher. Still not good enough to get rid of baked on grease at rack intersections so I am going to try petal's method in my Easy Cook.

calista, Jul 24, 6:27am
I've used ammonia for oven cleaning before, but this method looks a lot easier. Usually I finish by wiping the oven with a weak vinegar solution as it neutralises the ammonia.

Thanks Petal - I've bought the ammonia, now to get around to cleaning the oven.

tui93, Jul 28, 8:25am
Is ammonia the same as handy andy or is it a straight product?

juju40, Jul 28, 8:15pm
Off to buy ammonia today so looks like my job for tomorrow. Will come back and let you know how I get on.

buzzy110, Jul 29, 1:27am
It is ammonia and sold under the name - Cloudy Ammonia.

lulu239, Jul 29, 5:10am
I have found the following very successful:

Have a cold oven. Block vents and switch off at the wall. Put ½ cup ammonia, ½ cup laundry powder and 1 cup boiling water into a roasting dish. Shut the door and leave overnight. Clean in the morning. Of couyrse it does help if it is done reasonably regularly!

ttgroup, Jul 29, 7:34pm
oven cleaning = nightmare

juju40, Jul 29, 8:35pm
Oops was so tired that I went to bed early last night and forgot to put ammonia and water in the oven :( Have 5 nightshifts starting tonight so may have to leave it til net week.

tui93, Jul 30, 9:38am
Thankyou.

tui93, Feb 3, 1:07am
Yuk nightshifts. You have my sympathy.