Beetroot choc cake recipe

wildflower, Feb 9, 2:26am
There's a recipe at the women's weekly website for a beetroot chocolate cake and I'm growing beetroot so would like to give it a go.It's got 2 cups of sugar though!I'm thinking I should be able to cut that back a bit without dire consequences.Anyone tried it or similar!

gardner8, Feb 9, 2:46am
The one I have done has 400g beetroot and 1 1/2 cups sugar, that seemed to work ok and not too sweet.

elsielaurie1, Feb 9, 2:47am
Google 'beetroot chocolate cake'.there's quite a selection to choose from.

wildflower, Feb 9, 4:40am
This recipe is supposed to be pretty good. It has 2 c grated beetroot, 2 cup sugar.Maybe I'll just cut it back to 1 1/2 cup.Nothing too radical.The beetroot are so nice on their own it's not like they're really bitter.

griffo4, Feb 9, 6:52am
l made this recipe from the NZWW mag a few weeks back and l would make it in a bigger tin but it went down a treat with everyone so worth a try
lt was a recipe request from a cafe called EastEnd cafe and bar at Wairoa
l didn't make the icing just used an ordinary icing

Chocolate beetroot cake
Ready in 1 hour 45 minutes, serves 12.

Test this cake while it’s baking with a skewer or sharp knife – it can look cooked, but the middle may still be raw.

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups f;our
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 cups peeled and grated raw beetroot
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC on bake.

2. Grease and line the base of a 23cm spring-form cake tin with paper.

3. In a large bowl place the first four ingredients and mix, giving it a good stir.

4. Sift the next five ingredients into another bowl.

5. Add the flour mix, alternating with the grated beetroot.

6. Mix together lightly and place in the tin. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Icing:
The EastEnd Café makes a peanut butter icing (1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup softened butter and 3 cups icing sugar) or a chocolate ganache icing.

We used a chocolate ganache by melting 125g dark chocolate, 1 tbsp butter and 1/3 cup cream together. Heat gently, then pour over the cake.

millseys, Feb 9, 8:30am
I always reduce the quantity of sugar in recipes when I bake cakes. Usually by half a cup or so when it's a 2 cup recipe. Has never had one not turn out delish. Have been making chocolate zucchini cake recently and the recipe says 2 cups of sugar but I have been using 1.5 max

wildflower, Feb 10, 2:19am
griff04, that's the recipe I've saved off the WW website.Just seems like a lot of sugar so I think I'll do like millseys says and reduce by 1/2c.I will do a bigger tin like you suggest though as my only round tin is about 20cm so I'll go to a bigger square one.

I think I'll just dust with icing sugar as their icing recipes sound way too rich!

griffo4, Feb 10, 5:28am
Yes l think l cut it back by half a cup as well, it seems like everything is getting too sweet and has way too much sugar in it
and l used a 23cm tin but will use a 25cm next time as it took alot longer to cook and the top started to burn but the inside was still uncooked