Sticky ginger bread recipe?

norja, Feb 9, 10:46pm
hi.my hubbys grandmother used to make him a sticky gingerbread that was sticky on the outside.does anyone have a recipe that this might be!its not in any books i can find so it must be old.
would like to surprise him for valentines.
also asking in parenting.
thanks

indy95, Feb 9, 11:02pm
Norja, I haven't made this recipe but I know it is an old one and might be the type of gingerbread that he remembers.

Sticky Black Gingerbread

250g each treacle, butter and soft brown sugar, 2 eggs beaten, 360g flour, 2 dsp ground ginger, 3 t cinnamon, pinch of salt, 300ml milk warmed to blood heat, 2 t baking soda.

Oven 150C in 20 x 30cm lined cake tin.
Melt treacle, butter and sugar together, cool a little and add eggs. Sift dry ingredients and stir in. Stir baking soda into warmed milk until dissolved and mix in gently.
Bake about 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours.

norja, Feb 10, 2:39am
thanks.will try
is dsp = desert spoon!

nauru, Feb 10, 7:26am
This is the recipe as in the AWW book. I double all the spices (my preference & never enough ginger for my taste) and instead of frosting, I top the cake with sliced almonds before baking, same as the Jamaican Ginger cake you buy. I have also made this with golden syrup instead of treacle with a good result but not as dark. It's a lovely moist cake and according to the recipe it keeps well, it doesn't last long enough in our house to confirm this though.Enjoy.

Moist Treacle Gingerbread
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup SR flour
1/2 teasp baking soda
1 teasp ground ginger
1/4 teasp ground cinnamon
1/4 teasp mixed spice
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup milk
60g butter
1/2 cup treacle

Lemon frosting
60g butter
1 teasp grated lemon rind
1 cup icing sugar
2 teasp lemon juice

Grease and line 14cm x 21cm loaf pan. Sift flours, soda and spices into a bowl. Stir in sugar and combined egg and milk. Melt butter and treacle together. Stir into flour mixture and mix well. Pour into prep'd loaf pan Bake @ 180C for 50 minutes. When cooled spread with Lemon frosting.
For frosting, beat together butter and rind until creamy. Gradually add icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency.

cookessentials, Feb 10, 7:40am
My Mum makes ginger parkin which has a sticky outside. I can't remember if it is on the "ginger gems" thread below.

cookessentials, Feb 10, 7:43am
And here it is for you.thanks to pickles for bumping up such a great thread! I have copy and pasted it here for you. it is one of my favourites and Mum has been making it for as long as I can remember.

Ginger Parkin - a recipe from Yorkshire ( where my Mum is from) I really like this, it's nice and gingery.

225g self raising flour
110g caster sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 egg
200mlmilk
55g butter
110g golden syrup

Preheat the oven to 150C. Line a 22cm/8in tin.
Sieve the flour, sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
In a small pan gently heat the butter and syrup until melted.
Beat the egg into the milk.
Gradually pour the butter and syrup into the flour and stir. The mixture will be thick.
Pour in the egg and milk and stir until smooth and pour into the lined tin.
Bake for 1 hour

cookessentials (1205 )5:09 am, Fri 2 Apr #21

indy95, Feb 10, 10:45pm
Sorry, I didn't check on this thread yesterday after posting the recipe. Yes, dsp means a dessertspoon.