Substitute for almond icing

dolitle, Oct 23, 9:12pm
does anyone know a good substitute for almond icing under fondant, i need to ice a cake that needs to last a few days before its eaten and i dont want the fondant to go soggy but dont like the taste of almond icing.

whitehead., Oct 23, 10:33pm
alomd icing is mostly egg white and some icing sugar if you remove the almonds . or you could try some of the almond icings that are the real thing and dont taste of essence, most are really mild

cookiebarrel, Oct 23, 10:49pm
dolittle, you don't have to put almond icing on a cake.If your cake is not too moist, and going to be cut within a few days of icing, you can get away with just covering it with a slightly thicker covering of the fondant.I have often had folk not wanting almond icing on their fruit cake and to get around this, as today most of the almond icings you get are just flavoured and coloured fondant icing, I just do 2 coverings of the fondant.If it is a cake that is going to be used within a week of covering, be it fruit, chocolate, vanilla or whatever, I then just cover it with a thicker layer of the fondant.If I am not sure then I just ice it with the 2 layers, but make them both fondant.Using true almond icing came about to stop the fruit ect leaking through and staining the top coating.That is why the almond layer was/is left to 'dry off' before the next layer is applied.I miss the true almond/marzipan icing, though I do make my own to put on our own Christmas cake.

cookiebarrel, Oct 23, 10:53pm
Usually if I am doing a non-fruit cake I cover it first with buttercream icing or chocolate ganache, unless the folk who it is for don't like these coverings underneath.

chicco2, Oct 24, 2:43am
Yes to what cookiebarrel says. Just use 2 layers of fondant.

dolitle, Oct 24, 4:39am
cool thanks :) the recipe im using is quite a moist chocolate cake. i usually put buttercream over it first to crumb coat it anyway so ill do that and then two fondant layers. thanks heaps :)

cary14, Oct 24, 7:44am
so using just fondant will stick ok !

whitehead., Oct 24, 8:07am
melt some jam i use berry and take the seeds out then brush it over your cake so your icing will stick

chicco2, Oct 24, 5:12pm
You can just use a couple of tspoons of sugar dissolved in a small amount of hot water. Brush it on to the cake with a pastry brush.