Bay leaf substitute?

jimbob37, Dec 10, 2:33am
If you were making something and it said to poach with a bay leaf, but you didn't have any, what could you substitute?

lilyfield, Dec 10, 2:49am
that depends on what I am poaching- tell more

dragonzflame, Dec 10, 2:51am
the top of celery maybe? I can never taste bay anyway, I think it just gives it a bit more savouriness, so celery leaves might do the job.

tjman, Dec 10, 3:09am
Hi,You cant substitute it with anything that tastes the same, but I find Thyme goes with most things.

245sam, Dec 10, 3:10am
jimbob37, what would you be poaching with the bay leaf?I have a recipe for chicken which is poached with tarragon - a lovely combo' but to be perfectly honest a bay leaf substitute is not something I've ever had to think about as I always used to keep dried bay leaves on hand until we planted the tree that has an abundance of fresh bay leaves.
It is unfortunate that we are unable to reveal our exact whereabouts as I too live in Chch and could easily spare a few leaves from our well clad tree.:-))

retired, Dec 10, 5:11am
In the French markets they sold powered Bay.I have looked but never found this over here.I think you would need a lo of leaves and my little tree is not ready for that yet!

churchmousenz, Dec 10, 6:49am
Maybe you could start a auctionwith say a 50c buy now for her

245sam, Oct 13, 4:48pm
jimbob37, are you interested?Where are you? - we live in H---well.

:-))