Gingernut biscuits

simber1, Oct 11, 8:52pm
I have a over supply of ginger nut biscuits and looking for something i can do with them.Someone said you can make a log with them like the chocolate chippie log with cream!Any ideas please.Thanks

olwen, Oct 11, 8:54pm
A very 70's recipe. Dip gingernuts in sherry (it's only a dip, not a soak) layer with whipped cream and arrange into a log.

245sam, Oct 11, 9:13pm
simber1, as olwen has advised, gingernuts can indeed be made into a log in the same way as with chocolate chippies – in fact we’ve never had chocolate chippie log but have had gingernut log many times, not that I have never made this dessert myself….my DH always makes it and does not use a recipe but just uses the quantity we consider appropriate for when the dessert is required of gingernuts, ginger wine or sherry and cream - the method he uses is the same as in this recipe.

1 packet chocolate chip biscuits (or gingernuts)
½ cup muscatel or sherry - basically any cold liquid of choice can be used including fruit juice, fizzy drink, or of course, an alcoholic drink
1¼ cups cream, whipped

Dip (don't soak because the biscuits will become too soft and soggy) the biscuits, one at a time, in the wine, then spread each biscuit with the whipped cream.
On a serving plate line up the creamed biscuits to form a log. Cover the log completely with whipped cream.
Decorate as desired with e.g. chocolate chips, crumbled Flake bar, a dusting of cocoa or drinking chocolate or. Refrigerate for at least an hour - IMO it's best the next day although the outer coating of cream may become discoloured - to overcome that problem put the thinnest coating of cream on it when making the dessert then next day, apply another thin coating of fresh whipped cream and decoration of choice.

Here’s another recipe you might like to try with your abundance of gingernuts….

CHOCOLATE “SALAMI”
1 x 250g packet gingernuts
2-4 tbsp dark rum
150g plain dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
50g unsalted butter
1 egg
150g glace cherries
icing sugar for rolling

Put the gingernuts in a food processor and whiz until they are finely crushed. Tip the gingernut crumbs into a bowl and sprinkle them with the rum. Mix with a fork.
Place the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot, not boiling, water and leave it to melt. Stir in the butter until melted. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and beat the egg into the warm mixture. Add the crushed gingernuts and the whole cherries and mix well. Leave to cool, then form the mixture into 2 logs, each 5cm Ø. Sift the icing sugar on to a bench and roll each log in the icing sugar until well coated. Wrap the logs in greaseproof paper and chill until firm.Store in a cool place (or freeze - for Christmas perhaps!).
To serve, cut into very thin slices and kept chilled until ready to serve.

Hope that helps.:-))