Failed attempt at making marshmallow HELP!

pheebs1, Sep 12, 3:18am
have madebrianmacs marshmallow recipe twice and failed.
i made half the quantity just to see how it would go but they keep coming out more like eskimos.
to thick not light and fluffy and sets in mins not hours
i follow the recipe exactly except that i didnt wait for the syrup to cool i just went and whipped
second time i whipped less so as to no be so hard as the first
and its was better but not right
i know im doing something wrong, so many recipes say boil to soft ball stage which is at least 20+ mins on my stove is that too long! perhaps im boiling it to long. i dont have a candy thermometre

please help i know this should be easier than this and im not giving up yet!

here is the recipe i followed. if anyone has anything to add or tweak
id appreciate it
i do not want to use corn syrup so simple sugar gelatine and water recipes are great
thanks!

TOASTED MARSHMALLOWS This recipe makes the most beautiful marshmallows, coated in yummy toasted coconut. 4 tbsp gelatine;1 cup cold water;4 cups sugar;2 cups boiling water;2 tsp vanilla;2 tsp lemin juice;250g coconut. Sprinkle gelatine over cold water. Put sugar and boiling water into a lge saucepan,stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved,bring to boil.Stir in gelatine mixture. Boil steadily for 20 min

then its says to cool and beat till light and fluffy

pheebs1, Sep 12, 3:21am
Also this is not to say the above recipe is not great because others have found it perfect, its just me a virgin marshmallower!

pheebs1, Sep 12, 5:02am
thanks for that! i rang a friend in my frustration who like the other recipeyou have linked to suggested that 20 mins was way to long to boil it for
so i did it for around the 8 to 10 mins. it was still very liquid which freaked me out but after 10-15 mins of whipping(while hot couldnt wait) its thick and gorgeous so now i justhave to wait for it to set

should i refrigerate it to set it!
i already dusted it on top with icing sugar will it get to moist or sticky in the fridge or should i leave it to set in the pantry!

quarterpasttwo, Sep 12, 5:10am
when making mashmellow at work i simply dissove suger in hot water, no boiling at all then add rest of ingredents to mixer turn on and wait till its fluffy

valentino, Sep 12, 5:13am
Just allow it to set.
Should set in it's own timebut if you put it in the fridge, then check on it after shorter times.

Once set, then put into dry containers sealed and store in the pantry.

If stored in the fridge, it will attract unwanted moisture and makes the outer surfaces a bit too sticky, it will also sweat, perspire that is.

Cheers.

valentino, Sep 12, 5:31am
pheebs1, Here is an interesting thought, not too sure what you are making these for but just to expand something, remember those ice cream cones, whether long or the short ones, simply fill some with the marshmallow, allow it to set then decorate the tops with say "Hundreds and Thousands or Choc Hail, etc, even some finely grated chocolate' all sprinkled a little with a bit of sifted icing sugar.

Be great for kids both young and old (like myself).

Just thoughts if I may, Cheers.

pheebs1, Sep 12, 8:31pm
thanks for that! also i found them a bit sweet. if i add more gelatine and less sugar or indeed just less sugar would that lessen the sweetness!

valentino, Sep 12, 9:44pm
Yes, but if one used cornflour dusting instead of icing sugar - this alone will lessen the sweetness.

Also gelatine gives it the jelly like texture, sugar gives it a bit more solidify so just be wary how you go about this.

When doing most varieties of Sweets, is with the use of sugar hence the term "Sweets". I prefer the use of cornflour as noted per the recipe to keep it at the right sweetness but that's me personally.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers

pheebs1, Sep 13, 2:10am
yes i had run out of cornflour but i think i would much prefer that also
to having rolled it yet more sugar, thanks
im not sure this batch will last long in a house full of kids anyhow !

malp, Sep 14, 8:38pm
I make a reasonable amount of marshmellow with this recipe - 2 dessertspoons gelatine disolved in 1 cup boiling water start mixing add 2 cups sugar. mix until fluffy and add colouring or flavouring as desired, tip out into prepared dish, ie with cornflour, nuts, coconut or whatever and set, cut in about 20 min.