Coca Cola Chocolate Cake?

sarahb5, Sep 16, 10:06pm
I've heard so much about this and thought I'd make one for Mr 14's birthday next week - does anyone have a tried and true recipe!TIA

245sam, Sep 16, 10:28pm
sarahb5, on the following link look for Lisa Templeton's recipe:-

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php!3,6882,6886#msg-6886

I absolutely recommend this recipe - I have used it for a birthday cake and the leftovers do freeze well too, in fact after 3 months in the freezer the cake (and its ganache icing) was just as good as if freshly made.:-))

245sam, Sep 16, 10:28pm
sarahb5, on the following link look for Lisa Templeton's recipe:-

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php!3,6882,6886#msg-6886

I absolutely recommend this recipe - I have used it for a birthday cake and the leftovers do freeze well too, in fact after 3 months in the freezer the cake (and its ganache icing) was just as good as if freshly made.:-))

sarahb5, Sep 16, 10:31pm
Thank you - that looks great.If I make ganache I use the same weight of chocolate as mls of cream don't I!So if I use 300ml of cream I'd use 300g of chocolate - haven't made proper ganache for years because kids didn't appreciate it but they're older now so it's worth the effort (and expense!)

mackenzie2, Sep 16, 11:04pm
Coca Cola Chocolate fudge cake is great
1 3/4 C Flour
2 C Brown Sugar
3/4 C Cocoa
2 t baking Soda
1 t baking powder
dash salt
2 eggs
1/2 C oil
1 C Cola
1 C of Buttermilk (I actually use trim Milk and it works)
1 t vanilla
Sift all dry ingredients into mixing bowl
Add wet and beat on medum to high speed till combined. Make sure you line you tin with gladbake if the tin is spring form as this is a very wet mix.
But being such a wet mix its is a moist almost mudcake texture. In fact we used to whole sale it as mud cake.
Bake in 9 x 13 Inch cake tin at 350 F or until prong comes out clean.

mackenzie2, Sep 16, 11:06pm
Have 3 of these in the oven, have a catering job this weekend, and have been playing around with them. Have decided to serve them with a thick berry sauce on top, thena layer of creamy chocolate mousse, served on a bread and butter plate with more berry sauce and thickened cream

mackenzie2, Sep 16, 11:07pm
P.S I cheat and buy the mousse packets, but instead of milk I use 3/4 cream, lovely thick and rich flavour

sarahb5, Sep 16, 11:27pm
That's the recipe I just downloaded from sam245's link - looks good but will definitely think about your mousse suggestion - he might like that and would make it more of a dessert than "just cake"

245sam, Sep 16, 11:40pm
yes sarahb5, I too recognized the recipe that mackenzie2 posted as being the same as the recipe at Foodlovers.Lisa Templeton is of Denheath's (custard squares) hence the reference to "whole sale it as mud cake".For anyone who does not enjoy Denheath's custard squares, please don't be put off trying Lisa's Coca Cola Chocolate Cake - it really is a great recipe/cake.
:-))

245sam, Sep 16, 11:46pm
sarahb5, re your ganache question.yes, it is basically as you are thinking. Here is the recipe I use (it's from Food in a Minute's Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake).

Melt 125g dark chocolate with ½ cup cream, together, in the microwave for 1 minute.Stir to combine, cool a little and then pour over the cake and smooth out.:-))

dgriffnz, Sep 17, 5:57am
I do a mean Chocolate Stout cake.is always a firm favourite whenever it's made. So rich!

245sam, Sep 17, 6:04am
dgriffnz, would you care to share the recipe for the Chocolate Stout Cake please.Chocolate + Stout = a great combo IMO.:-))

sarahb5, Sep 17, 9:27am
I think I have a recipe for that in my Marian Keyes Saved by Cake book - it's actually called the Brazilian Stout Cake or something like that.I don't think Mr 14 would appreciate it as much as coke cake though!

sarahb5, Sep 22, 5:57am
Any idea how long this takes to cook!Neither the online recipe nor the one above give a time - about 50 minutes!

griffo4, Sep 22, 8:26am
One recipe l have says 40 minutes and the one with marshmallows says 35 minutes
Hope it worked out well for you

shellbell13, Sep 22, 8:55am
haha thats the recipe I have.Wonder if I copied it off you.

sarahb5, Sep 22, 8:57am
Took a lot longer than I expected - well over an hour - looks good though but will freeze it until Tuesday and then ice it for Wednesday night

village.green, Sep 22, 9:13am
Coca Cola Cake ! wrong on so many levels.mind you my kids would love it of course as they rarely get to drink the stuff.

griffo4, Sep 22, 8:37pm
sarah l can't remember how long it took but pleased it turned out and it is a nice cake and the one with marshmallows is more gooey and marshmallowy but also nice

sarahb5, Sep 22, 10:20pm
I don't like coke at all but I have given up the coke battle with my kids (21, 17 and soon to be 15) - I figure there are a lot worse things they could be having, they all have great teeth (no fillings) and do heaps of exercise - if they were obese couch potatoes I would be worried but then again if I was the type of parent who let my kids be like that I probably wouldn't be worried!Anyway, the cake smells great and looks good too - will look even better with chocolate ganache, candles and a bit of glitter (just to embarrass him at school the next day .)

greenforde, Sep 22, 11:47pm
Does anyone have a roasting dish size choc cake!

kassie48, Sep 23, 12:23am
put in roasting dish chocolate cake under keyword then last year under date.

Bloody good choc cake Mix in order -2c sugar,2 eggs,1c yoghurt( any flavour),3/4c cocoa,200g melted butter,2t baking soda,1 1/2 t vanilla ess, 1/4 t salt, 3 c self raising flour ( or 3c flour and 3 t BP) 1c black coffee. Mix all together , makes 2 round cakes or a roasting tray full , bake at 180*c till knife comes out clean when tested ( about 30 mins).
Found this one a while ago on this board and it works every time.

becca301 (705 )7:47 pm, Sat 18 Jun #2

village.green, Sep 23, 2:57am
Yes I have this one, or very similar. Works well and is BIG. Used as my standard kids birthday cakes for years.